How does a student transfer their license to Delaware?

A student just moved to Delaware from another state, already has a license, and is under the age of 18.  How does the student transfer their license to Delaware?

  • A license from another state does not automatically transfer to a license in Delaware.  Driving is a "privilege" offered by each state in our country.  The laws regarding how a teenager gets a license can differ in each state.  If a student is under the age of 18, on a permit or provisional license from another state, they must have their license transferred to Delaware within 60 days.  Once their license is transferred, they must then follow the state of Delaware's Graduated Driver's License Program.
  • Instruct the student to complete the Transfer Request Form: Out-of-State Driver Education form and provide all the documentation requested.  If there is a document that they do not have, they are required to explain why in the comments section on the form.