Secondary Transition Services
You are important as the parent or guardian of a student with a disability, you have a leading role in your son or daughter's life movie. The time period between early adolescence and young adulthood needs your critical attention!!
In the education world, this time period is referred to as School-to-Adult Life Transition, or simply transition. Transition planning is a golden opportunity for you and your son or daughter to be the leaders in setting goals and directions for the student's future.
Beginning at least by age 14 or 8th grade, transition planning is a part of every student's IEP process. The IEP team now includes your son or daughter as a part of the transition planning team. Also, any agency representative who may provide and/or pay for transition services becomes a critical member of the planning team. The areas of employment, post-secondary education or training, community participation and independent living are all to be considered in the transition planning and IEP process.
The contacts and information that follow can help inform you more about transition planning to help your child toward a successful future. The Smart Movesmaterials at this website will provide you with a lot more information on what is available in Delaware. Check it out here, or ask your school for copies of the Smart Moves information.
- Parent Transition Survey
- Indicator 13 Transition Guidelines and Examples
- Secondary IEP Form
- Annotated Secondary IEP Form
- Summary of Performance
- Secondary IEP Form - Spanish
- Delaware Indicator 13 Checklist
- Quick Guide Examples for Indicator 13
- Consent to Release Information Form
- Transition - IEP Pilot - Final Report
- Best Practices
- The IEP Process For Transition
- Smart Moves
- Student IEP Guide
- The Student-Driven IEP
- WRRC Secondary Education and Transition Information Module
- Online Transition Resources for Students, Families and Professionals
- Essential Elements of Delaware's IEP/Transition Plan
Resources for Students and Parents
- Draft Sample Delaware Transition Planning Timeline
- Operating the Transition Process: A Guide for Students and Families
- Transition Outreach for Adult Living (TOTAL) Project - this document provides checklists and other additional information for transition planning.
Transition Assessment Resources
- Defining Transition Assessment by the Division on Career Development and Transition (DCDT)
- Defining Vocational Assessment Implementation for Mild, Moderate and Severe disabilities with potential resources.
- Transition Assessment Websites
- Quick Book of Transition Assessments - Transition Assessments for ALL
- Transition Assessment Packet and Matrix from Virginia Department of Education - Description of Assessment process and potential assessment resources.
Additional resources from George Tilson
- Developing a Positive Personal Profile
- Positive Personal Profile Resources
- Student Survey for Transition Planning
Potential supports to assist in the transition to Adult Services
"Early Start to Supported Employment"
- Early Start to Supported Employment: Year One Evaluation [PDF 81.6kb]
- Early Start to Supported Employment: Year Two Evaluation
- Parent Handbook
- Manual para Padres (Parent Handbook in Spanish)
- Supported Employment FAQ
- Early Start Fact Sheet
- Suggested Timeline for an "Early Start" to Supported Employment
- Initial Review/Referral Form
- Consent Form
- Confirmation of Student Participation
- Semi-Annual Supported Employment Report - Sept. 2005