2022 Delaware state finalists for White House STEM recognition announced
The Delaware Department of Education has named five Delaware teachers as state finalists for the 2022 Presidential Awards for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST), the highest recognition that K-12 STEM teachers can receive for outstanding teaching in the United States. Finalists’ applications now will move forward to the national level for final selection of the 2022 PAEMST Awardees.
The 2022 Delaware state finalists are:
● Jason Orlen, East Millsboro Elementary School, Indian River School District
● Michele (Missy) Snyder, Major George Welch Elementary School, Caesar Rodney School District
● Allison Van Ness, Clayton Intermediate School, Smyrna School District
● Maria Cobb, Mount Pleasant Elementary School, Brandywine School District
● Jaime Swartz, John M Clayton Elementary School, Indian River School District
Find photos of the finalists here.
The goal of the PAEMST award program is to exemplify the highest standards of mathematics and science teaching (including technology, engineering and computer science) in addition to honoring individual achievement. Awardees serve as models for their colleagues, inspiration to their communities, and leaders in the improvement of STEM education. The award alternates between teachers of kindergarten through 6th grade and those teaching 7th through 12th grades. Every year each state selects up to three mathematics teachers and three science teachers as state finalists. A national selection committee reviews state finalist applications and selects one awardee in each content area for every state. Teachers are recognized for their contributions to teaching and learning and their ability to help students make progress in mathematics and science. As part of the recognition process, awardees take part in a weeklong series of networking and professional development activities in Washington, D.C., and receive $10,000 from the National Science Foundation.
Additionally, the 2021 DE state finalists also are awaiting final selection by the national panel. The 2021 DE state finalists who were announced last summer are:
● Katherine Hoffecker (mathematics), Odessa High School, Appoquinimink School District
● Tommie Polite (mathematics), Laurel Middle School, Laurel School District
● Michael Reitemeyer (mathematics), Las Americas ASPIRA Academy Charter School
● Corey Butterfield (science), George Read Middle School, Colonial School District
● Brian Heeney (science), Delcastle Technical High School, New Castle County Vo-Tech School District
● Erin Motley (science), Gunning Bedford Middle School, Colonial School District
The White House announcement of national awardees for both 2021 and 2022 are expected within the 2022 calendar year. Congratulations to all Delaware finalists!
For more information about PAEMST and to see nomination forms and application instructions, visit www.paemst.org.