Return to Headlines
Engineering & technology students apply spirit of innovation to excel at state conference
More than 670 students and advisors from 33 chapters across the state recently attended the 2014 Delaware Technology Student Association State Conference, many bringing home honors. This year's conference had a record registration with more than 1,508 entries in all of the competitive events that were focused on topics in Technology, Innovation, Design and Engineering.
The Technology Student Association is a career and technical student organization dedicated to students interested in the future of invention, innovation, engineering and technology. Through TSA, members have the opportunity to participate in a vast amount of technology-focused competitive events, take part in community service work, and become leaders for the organization in their school, state and nation. TSA expands on the curriculum of technology education classes and emphasizes the importance of knowledge, leadership and teamwork.
Students from across the state competed with each other in events such as CAD, digital video production, engineering design, flight, graphic design, inventions and innovations, magnetic levitation vehicles, robotics, rocketry, structural engineering, system control technology, technological problem solving and more. Each TSA competitive event requires students to apply technology, solve technical problems, conduct research and invent solutions. A list of all event finalists can be found here: www.detsa.org.
Additionally, PS DuPont Middle School was recognized for its outstanding spirit and honored with the 2014 Delaware TSA Chapter Spirit Award.
The following members also were elected to serve as State Officers for 2014-2015:
- President - Rebecca Williams, Mount Pleasant High School (Brandywine School District)
- Vice President - Snehil Kumar, Caesar Rodney High School (Caesar Rodney School District)
- Secretary – Mary Beth Robbins, Lake Forest High School (Lake Forest School District)
- Treasurer – Ashish Bachavala, Caesar Rodney High School (Caesar Rodney School District)
- Reporter - Michael Canning, Caesar Rodney High School (Caesar Rodney School District)
- Sergeant-at-Arms – Johnny Bui, Caesar Rodney High School (Caesar Rodney School District)
The students who were honored at state conference may earn the opportunity to be invited to represent Delaware at the 36th Annual National TSA Conference from June 27-July 1