Return to Headlines
82 high school seniors named Secretary of Education Scholars for their outstanding academic achievement
Secretary of Education Susan Bunting will recognize top public school students from the Class of 2017 at the annual Secretary of Education Scholars banquet at 6 p.m., Tuesday, April 25 at Dover Downs Hotel in Dover.
Governor John Carney and other state leaders will be joined by the students’ families, district superintendents, heads of charter schools and principals to celebrate the students’ accomplishments. The number of scholars from each school is based on enrollment, and students are selected by their principals based on both their academic records and community service.
“These scholars have diligently worked both in and out of the classroom, and they therefore deserve our recognition for their accomplishments,” Bunting said. “They are notable both for their academic achievements as well as their significant contributions to their schools and communities. They are leaders in student government, athletics, service groups and musical ensembles. They volunteer for nonprofit organizations and advocate for causes they believe in. They work part-time. Thus, they do all of this while excelling academically.”
The state has recognized Secretary of Education Scholars every year since 1984.
• Appoquinimink School District: Kishan Patel, Krishna Suresh and Zan Usmani, Appoquinimink High School; Yutong (Crystal) Li and William Nylander, Middletown High School;
• Brandywine School District: Ryan Downey and Sarah Gentry Meinecke, Brandywine High School; Kristen Chou and Dhruv Mohnot, Concord High School; Luke Christman and Emily Gripp, Mount Pleasant High School;
• Caesar Rodney School District: Alyssa Ball, Grace Collins, Sherry Kumar and Cyrus Shanehsaz, Caesar Rodney High School;
• Cape Henlopen School District: Benjamin Conrad and Erik-Stephane Stancofski, Cape Henlopen High School;
• Capital School District: Carolyn Lewis, Samantha Pitts and Yousef Sheikh, Dover High School;
• Christina School District: Comfort Osundina and Erika White, Christiana High School; Hailey Henshaw, Delaware School for the Deaf; Sierra Lynn Dotson and Ashley Nicole Grinnell, Glasgow High School; Joshua Jasmin and Emily Thompson, Newark High School;
• Colonial School District: Tyler Ballance, Jacob Campbell, Alexandria Getchell and Alexis Robles, William Penn High School;
• Delmar School District: Summer Black and Rehan Choudhry, Delmar High School;
• Indian River School District: Erin Haden and Hayden McWilliams, Indian River High School; Jean-Akim Cameus, Andrew Evan and Luis Garcia Osorio, Sussex Central High School;
• Lake Forest School District: Christie Little and Samuel Price, Lake Forest High School;
• Laurel School District: TyAnna Handy and Alexandria Ullman, Laurel High School;
• Milford School District: Alexis Peterson and Daniel Zang, Milford High School;
• New Castle County Vocational-Technical School District: Sarah Buehler, Vlada Kupriienko and Kalli Morris, Delcastle Technical High School; Julie Clark, Hodgson Vocational Technical High School; Stephanie Gonzalez-Carranza and Nashaye Harris-Larson, Howard High School of Technology; Jeremy Abney and Sarah Brown, St. Georges Technical High School;
• POLYTECH School District: Hannah Coté and Robin Cox, POLYTECH High School;
• Red Clay Consolidated School District: Ava Cruz and Jocelyn Gilbert, Cab Calloway School of the Arts; Jordan Cogswell and Paul Ryan, Conrad Schools of Science; Sarah Gotthold and Emily Jones, John Dickinson High School; Nicholas Schreiber and Michelle Shao, Alexis I. duPont High School; Mandeep Kaur and Destyne Rook, Thomas McKean High School;
• Seaford School District: Hannah Doyle and Sierra Snigier, Seaford High School;
• Smyrna School District: Lindsey Asbury, Maxwell Berman and James Latavitz, Smyrna High School;
• Sussex Technical School District: Ari August and Brittany Ritter, Sussex Technical High School;
• Woodbridge School District: Magdalena Limon Gutierrez and Beth Manlove, Woodbridge High School;
• Charter: Andy Chen and Benjamin Xing, Charter School of Wilmington; Marlena Williams, Delaware Academy of Public Safety & Security; Jacob Hudson and Ava Rice, Delaware Military Academy; Erin Dickert and Shaily Patel, Newark Charter School; Kyland Catchings, Positive Outcomes Charter School; David Cohen Davis, Sussex Academy High School.
Read more about the scholars in this program book.