Delaware FFA students bring home awards from national convention
For immediate release
Contact Alison May (302) 735-4000
DELAWARE FFA STUDENTS BRING HOME AWARDS FROM NATIONAL CONVENTION
Ninety-six Delaware FFA Members were among the more than 60,000 FFA Members who attended National FFA Convention & Expo recently in Louisville, KY.
Julia Lloyd of Appoquinimink School District’s Waters Middle School FFA chapter was recognized on stage as the third-place winner in the food products and processing systems category for the individual grades 7-9 division for her project, “Onions vs. Mayonnaise: Which one has more bacterial growth?” The National FFA Agriscience Fair is a key competition of the annual National FFA Convention & Expo. To qualify, FFA members working as individuals or teams in grades 7 through 12 must conduct a scientific research project focused on the agriculture or food science industries and win their state’s FFA agriscience fair. They then move on to a preliminary judging in August, when 15 national finalists in each category and division are named.
Sixteen other National Agriscience Fair finalists from Delaware competed at the National FFA Convention & Expo. The 2014 National FFA Agriscience Fair is sponsored by Syngenta, Cargill and John Deere as a special project of the National FFA Foundation.
Sixty-six FFA Members from the state also competed in 21 career development events throughout the week. Teams are rated Gold, Silver or Bronze based on their scores. Individual placings also are given the same format. Delaware’s results were:
· Agricultural Communications- Delmar FFA: Bronze Team; Devan Just (Silver), Sydney Walbert (Bronze), Priscilla Hall (Bronze)
· Agricultural Issues Forum- Smyrna FFA: Bronze Team
· Agricultural Sales: Indian River- Bronze Team; Brianna McCloskey (Silver), Ciara Blaser (Bronze), Neena Oli (Bronze), Jared Ryan (Bronze)
· Agricultural Technical and Mechanical Systems- Woodbridge: Bronze Team; Corey Green (Silver), John Walker (Silver), Wade Warnick (Silver), Zachary Nalley (Bronze)
· Agronomy- Lake Forest: Silver Team; Allison Bishop (Silver), Cody Cole (Silver), Dalton Willey (Silver), Londin Boots (Bronze)
· Ag Products Display- Smyrna High School represented Delaware
· Creed Speaking- Woodbridge: Beth Manlove (Bronze)
· Dairy Cattle Evaluation and Management- Caesar Rodney; Silver Team; Mindy Cook (Gold), Madison Cook (Silver), Tina Ryan (Silver), Peightyn Demarreau (Bronze)
· Environmental and Natural Resources- POLYTECH: Bronze Team; Sara Buckley (Gold), Tabitha Edwards (Gold), Marie Medina (Bronze), Jordan Taylor (Bronze)
· Extemporaneous Public Speaking- Middletown: Brandon Dawson (Silver)
· Floriculture- Middletown: Silver Team; Erin Rinaldi (Gold), Ryan VanSant (Gold), Kathryn Platt (Silver), Susan Lin (Bronze)
· Forestry- Middletown: Silver Team; Erin Fogarty (Silver) Ariana Gaston (Silver), William Nylander (Silver), Sara Bednash (Bronze)
· Horse Evaluation- Caesar Rodney: Silver Team; Michaela Fox (Gold), Molly Harris (Gold), Lexi Kessler (Silver), Sydney Simmons (Bronze)
· Job Interview- POLYTECH: Nicholas Carroll (Silver)
· Livestock Evaluation- Caesar Rodney: Bronze Team; Kristen Kemp (Silver), Sydney Bates (Bronze), Lena Berry (Bronze), Joshua Bethard (Bronze)
· Meats Evaluation and Technology- Middletown: Silver Team; Mauri Hainsworth (Gold), Darion Gregg (Silver), Olivia Laird (Silver), Andrew Wyttenbach (Bronze)
· Milk Quality and Products- Middletown: Silver Team; Rachel Lintz (Gold), Lauren Berry (Silver), Alana Hodge (Silver), Laura Melancon (Silver)
· Nursery/Landscape- Delmar: Bronze Team; Aubrie Jones (Bronze), Rebecca Wheatley (Bronze), Amy Wilber (Bronze)
· Poultry- Christiana: Bronze Team; Cheyanne Stevens (Silver), Robin Baker (Bronze), Simon Bellow (Bronze), Yarismeliz Colon-Negron (Bronze)
· Prepared Public Speaking- Lake Forest: Kimberly Brubaker (Bronze)
· Veterinary Science- Middletown: 8th Place Team in the Nation (Gold); 7th Place Individual Nationally: Kathryn Babiarz (Gold), Linnea Freeman (Gold), Esmi Li (Gold), Taylor Nuneviller (Silver)
Delaware’s state officers also served as official convention delegates: AJ Cannon, Agricultural Conference Committee chair; Jovon Townsend, Middle School Participation Committee member; Jordan Karr, Agricultural Career Network Committee member; David Townsend, FFA and Agricultural Education Advocacy Committee member; and Evan Davis, Careers in Agricultural Education Committee member. Davis gave public testimony to the committee on the demands on agriculture education teachers and how that impacts students to look at this as a future career.