• Interpreter Tutor for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing

  • Interpreter Tutor for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing Eligibility

    To be eligible for an Interpreter Tutor for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing Permit, the educator must first meet the following requirements:

    • Hold a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in any field from a regionally accredited college or university, which has been submitted through an official transcript in DEEDS; AND either:
      • Holds national certification as a Generalist by the National Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (“RID”); or
      • Is a certified member of RID as an Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (“EIPA”) credentialed interpreter who achieved a level 4.0 or higher on the Elementary or Secondary American Sign Language video stimulus tapes evaluation. For purposes of Regulation 764, EIPA includes both the Written Test and video stimulus tapes evaluation.
    • To renew this Permit every 5 years, an educator must submit documentation in DEEDS showing current RID or EIPA credentials.

    Top of Page

  • DEEDS Application Process Steps

    1. Log in to your DEEDS account via the EdAccess login page.
    2. Apply for the appropriate permit you wish to obtain.
    3. Request to send all official documentation:
      • All official transcripts.
      • Test Scores, if applicable.
    4. Upon receipt of all documentation,DDOE Staff will review the application and documentation.
    5. DDOE staff will update your application status within DEEDS. You can monitor the application progress by clicking the "View My Applications" button on the DEEDS Educator Dashboard. Each application is shown with progress banners to indicate where the application is within the review and approval process.
    6. If additional documentation is needed to process your application, then a red "Respond to Deficiency" button will appear on the DEEDS Educator Dashboard. You will need to respond to the deficiency from within the DEEDS application, providing whatever additional information is requested in order for the application process to continue. This is the communication channel between DDOE and the applicant during the application process.
    7. You may apply for employment while your Permit is pending. Districts and charter schools will have access to your application information via DEEDS.

    Top of Page

  • Documentation Guidelines for Submission

    All documents, with the exception of copies of out-of-state and/or national certificates (if applicable), must be official, meaning that they must be sent directly from the appropriate third party (e.g., the college/university, testing organization, former employer, independent credentialing agency) to the Department electronically to deeds@doe.k12.de.us, or forwarded unopened, by mail to the Department by the candidate.  Applicants submitting test scores should be sure to review the Testing Guidelines for test-specific submission procedures.

    Top of Page

Last Modified on July 19, 2022