• Higher Education

  • Higher Education refers to the institutes of Higher Education, such as Universities and Colleges. Educators and those that wish to become educators will interact with institutes of higher education to obtain the required courses or degrees to move toward a new career or advance their current career.

    Please note that the Delaware Department of Education Licensure and Certification office may not and cannot advise or offer suggestions on the selection of an institute of higher education

    Higher Education prepares every learner for success in college, career and life. This Higher Education page includes the following sections:

  • College Degrees

    College degrees must be earned from a regionally accredited college or university approved or recognized by National Council for the Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP), or a state where the state approval body employed the appropriate standards.

    There are numerous institutes of Higher Education located within the State of Delaware. You can obtain a list of Delaware institutes of higher education by visiting the Delaware Department of Education Higher Education Office’s list.

    Online Degrees may be accepted for Delaware teacher certification if they are NCATE accredited or state approved programs. If you are seeking distance education for graduate coursework from an online school, please make sure they are part of SARA. Institutes of higher education that desire to offer online degrees or courses to residents of Delaware, must have approval from the State of Delaware in order to offer those courses or degrees.  Be aware that institutes located outside of Delaware may not offer programs that will fulfill Delaware licensure and certification requirements. Visit the Delaware Department of Education Higher Education Office for additional information.

    Top of Page

  • Higher Education Complaints

    For public and private (for-profit and not-for-profit) institutions based in Delaware, the portal agency is the Delaware Department of Education. Students with issues regarding public and private (for-profit and not-for-profit) SARA-approved Delaware institutions are to follow the Delaware Department of Education Student Complaint Policy and Student Complaint Form.

    Top of Page

Last Modified on July 19, 2022