• Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)



    As Delaware continues to try to limit the spread of COVID-19, the Delaware Department of Education is modifying how it provides support to its customers. While there is still no public access to our offices, those seeking help from Licensure and Certification are encouraged to call or email for assistance.

    For questions:

    • Employed educators, please contact your human resources office.
    • All other educators, please contact L&C using one of the methods below:
      • By Email: Please send questions to deeds@doe.k12.de.us
      • By Phone: (302) 857-3388. Please leave a detailed message that includes your name, question or concern, and contact information, which includes both a telephone number and email address for response.

    New guidance regarding COVID-19 has been published on the DDOE Website.

    Submitting Official Documents
    The L&C Office prefers all documents are submitted electronically, if possible.

    By Email: Official documents should be sent directly to the Department from the originating authority (college, university, employer) electronically using the email address: deeds@doe.k12.de.us

    • Documents must be sent as a PDF (we cannot accept PNG, JPG, or other file types) and attached to the email, not copied in the body of the email.
    • The email address must be a professional email address from the originating authority - not forwarded by the educator.
    • For transcripts, the electronic delivery service must send the access link directly to the Department. L&C cannot accept forwarded links.

    By Mail: Documents may be mailed to the address below:

    Delaware Department of Education
    Office of Licensure & Certification
    35 Commerce Way, Suite 1
    Dover, DE 19904
    State Mail Code N510

    Thank you, The Licensure & Certification Team

    COVID-19 Guidance and Updates (Educator Support)
    ETS Testing Information Notice
  • Application Process

    How long will it take for my application to be reviewed?
    Once we receive all required documents for your certification, you then move forward to our worklist to be processed. This process could take a few months depending on the volume of applicants.

    How can I check the status of my application?
    Access your DEEDS account, then click on "Monitor My Application" then check status. This process allows you to see if your license/certificate has been issued and if your application is complete.

    Do I need to submit separate applications to be certified in more than one subject area?
    Yes. A separate application must be submitted for each certification area. You will not be charged an additional license fee when applying for additional certifications.

    Will my certificate be mailed once my application has been approved?
    No. Paper certificates are no longer printed and mailed. Your license/certificate will be emailed to you, so please keep your email address updated. You may also access your DEEDS account and print your credential at any time. To do this, log on to your DEEDS account and click on "Print Credential".

    What does “Not Logged” mean when I monitor my application?
    It means that certain documents that were submitted towards your credentials have been received, but have not been evaluated; it does not mean that the documents have not been accepted.

    Top of Page

    Documentation Requirements

    How do I upload my documents?
    At this time, you cannot upload documents to your account. You need to submit official sealed transcripts to us directly, as you are not able to upload them to DEEDS yourself. If you are employed the school/district can upload the transcripts for you.

    Do I need to submit college transcripts to Licensure & Certification?
    Yes. You need to submit official sealed transcripts to us, as you are not able to upload them to DEEDS yourself. If you are employed the school/district can upload the transcripts for you.

    Where do I send my documentation?
    After completing the online application process, you must provide official documentation of all transcripts, certificates, and experience listed in the application.

    The Department prefers official documents be submitted directly by the issuing agency electronically to deeds@doe.k12.de.us.

    If having documents sent by USPS, use:

    Delaware Department of Education
    Licensure & Certification
    Collette Education Resource Center
    35 Commerce Way, Suite 1
    Dover, DE 19904

    What is SARA?
    SARA stands for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement. SARA is a nationwide collaboration of states intended to make distance education courses more accessible to students across state lines while also helping states and institutions in regulating interstate distance education. SARA expands students access to quality distance education, assists with complaint resolution, and reduces institutional costs.

    If you are seeking distance education for graduate coursework from an online school, please make sure they are part of SARA. To learn more about SARA, please visit the Delaware Department of Education's SARA Page.

    Top of Page


    What if I am charged the $100.00 fee twice for my License?
    Please contact the licensure and certification office with proof of payments. If applicable, a refund will be issued.

    Who is exempt from paying the $100.00 fee?
    Educators who apply for Permits do not pay the $100 fee.

    Do I need to pay $100.00 for each Certificate?
    No. There is a one-time $100.00 fee that is non-refundable for the license only.

    Do I need to pay a fee to renew my license?
    No. The one-time $100.00 fee is for the first license application only.

    Top of Page


    I can't log in to my account. Can you send me my username and password?
    To have your username and password sent to you, please use the "Forgot Username" and "Forgot Password" links below the log-in box in the center of the screen.

    If you are employed in a Delaware public or charter school, you will access DEEDS through Classlink. If you cannot access Classlink, please contact your IT Department directly or email ssologinsupport@doe.k12.de.us.

    Who will verify my clock hours if I am currently unemployed?
    Once you are unemployed the licensure and certification office will verify your clock hours.

    Do I need to submit a background clearance document to the Licensure & Certification department?
    No. We do not require clearances; the school/district will request them.

    How do I get a copy of my License?
    If your license is still valid, you can access your DEEDS account and click on Print Credential. Once your license has expired, you will not be able to print the document.

    What should I do if I am offered a job before I receive my license?
    You must be ELIGIBLE to be licensed/certified. Please work with the HR department of the hiring entity that is offering you the job if this occurs.

    I just graduated from an educator preparation program, do I earn a Provisional or an Initial License?
    An educator applying for a license in the state of Delaware with less than one year of experience will be placed on an Initial License. The educator will be required to take and pass a performance assessment by the end of their second year of teaching (six years if you are an STS educator) if they have not already done so. There is no longer a Provisional License. Applicants with 1 year, but less than 4 years experience, are still placed on an Initial License but are not required to take and pass a performance assessment if they provide proof of a current valid out of state license/certificate.

    What happens to my license if I had a Provisional License?
    An educator who earned a Provisional License between December 15, 2016, and June 20, 2017, will be re-issued an Initial License and has until June 20, 2019, to complete the performance assessment requirement. The re-issuance of the license happened during the Summer/Fall of 2017 as we transitioned the DEEDS system to meet the requirements.

    How do I request a name change?
    If you are employed, please contact your Human Resource department to change the information in PHRST; PHRST is the State’s payroll system. If you are unemployed, sign in to your DEEDS profile, click "Update" to the right of your name and complete the information changes.

    Top of Page

    How-To Directions

    How do I obtain a copy of my credentials?
    Educators may print their active license with certificates at any time by following these steps:

    1. Log in to DEEDs by either the log-in screen or Classlink, whichever is applicable.
    2. On the right side of the screen under “What Can I Do Today?”, select “Print Credential”

    Note: Educators will not be able to print expired or revoked credentials.

    Top of Page


    Where can I find the Delaware Regulations?
    The State of Delaware Title 14 Education Regulations pertaining to Licensure & Certification fall into two main categories: 

    Top of Page


    How do I get reimbursement for a Teaching License Application Fee?
    Upon application in DEEDS for a Delaware teaching license and certificate, the applicant will be charged a $100, one-time, application fee. Upon employment in a Delaware public school district or charter school, educators may be eligible for reimbursement of that $100 fee. For a comprehensive explanation of the fee reimbursement, refer to the Fee Reimbursement page: Teaching License Application Fee Reimbursement section.

    How do I get reimbursement for a Performance Assessment Fee?
    An applicant who applies for a Delaware teaching license and certificate becomes employed in a Delaware public school district or charter school and meets the performance assessment requirement towards a Delaware teaching license may be eligible for reimbursement. For a comprehensive explanation of the fee reimbursement, refer to the Fee Reimbursement page: Performance Assessment Fee Reimbursement section

    How do I get reimbursement for a Critical Needs Scholarship?
    Educators who are full-time employees of a Delaware public or charter school who teach on a valid Emergency Certificate in a critical need area as defined by the Delaware Department of Education may be eligible for all or part of tuition and registration fees paid for up to three credits/term (fall and spring) of coursework that will enable them to meet Standard Certification requirements.

    Reimbursement applications are processed by the Delaware public or charter school and is subject to available funding. Educators should discuss this option with their Human Resource Office representative. Detailed information regarding this scholarship program, including eligibility requirements and submission deadlines, is found on the Delaware Higher Education Office (DHEO) Critical Need Scholarship webpage.

    What do I do if I don't have a copy of my license or certificate for the Critical Needs Scholarship Reimbursement?
    If you need to submit a copy of your license or certificate, see "How do I obtain a copy of my credentials?". If you don't see an Emergency Certificate or valid Certificate for reimbursement, contact the Licensure & Certification Department

    Top of Page

    Testing Requirements

    When should I take the required tests?
    All required tests must be taken and passed before a Standard Certificate can be issued. Timing of completion of the Performance Assessment should be discussed with your HR Department.

    How should I send my test scores to the Delaware Department of Education?
    Please specify the Delaware Department of Education as the score recipient when you register for your tests. Our Reporting Code for Educational Testing Services (ETS) is 7065.

    How long do I have to take the Performance Assessment?
    An educator has two years (STS educators have up to six years) upon employment in a Delaware Public or Charter School to take and pass the Performance Assessment while on their Initial License.

    Praxis Core Testing

    Is Praxis I Testing still required?
    No. Governor Carney signed House Substitute 1 to House Bill 143 as amended by House Amendment 1 into law on June 20, 2017. This law modified Title 14 and eliminated the requirement of Praxis Core (Praxis I) for Licensure. House Bill 143 changed educator licensure requirements and a general knowledge assessment (Praxis I/Praxis Core) is no longer required for licensure.

    I was waiting to pass the Praxis Core to earn my license, now what?
    The general knowledge requirement or Praxis Core is no longer required for licensure in the state of Delaware. You no longer need to take and pass the Praxis Core to earn a license.

    • This includes current educators who were working towards this requirement and are already employed – Skilled and Technical Science Teachers, Nurses, etc.
    • This change also applies to all pending applications.
  • Delaware Department of Education
    Licensure & Certification
    Collette Education Resource Center
    35 Commerce Way, Suite 1
    Dover, DE 19904

    Feel free to contact us:
    M-F 8:00 AM-4:30 PM

    Website Feedback

Last Modified Yesterday at 4:06 PM