Anti-Discrimination Guidance Team
On July 17 Governor John Carney issued a memorandum to the Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) asking DDOE to develop a regulation and model policy to address potential discrimination in Delaware schools. DDOE has been charged with specifically providing:
- Guidelines - by regulation - to help districts and charters create consistent policies statewide that prohibit discrimination based on gender, race and/or ethnicity, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic
- A model anti-discrimination policy that each district and charter could adopt, or tailor and adopt, to suit the needs of their students
Draft Regulation- 9/20/2017
Draft Policy - 9/20/2017
PowerPoint Presentation - Used at the Community Conversations.
Feedback Survey - Please use this survey to provide feedback on the draft regulation and model policy.
All meetings will be posted on the delaware.gov public calendar, the Department of Education website and Legislative Calendar.Development Team meetings:
- Wednesday, September 6, 2017 - 6:30pm - 8pm
- Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 6:30pm - 8pm
- Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 3pm - 5pm
- Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 3pm - 5pm
401 Federal St
Dover DE 19901
Cabinet Room - 2nd FloorCommunity Conversations:
Public feedback on the anti-discrimination regulation and model policy will take place during the following community conversations in each county and the City of Wilmington:
- Howard H.S. - September 26, 2017 - 6:30pm - 8pm - Draft Meeting Notes
- A.G. Waters Middle school - September 28, 2017 - 6:30pm - 8pm - Draft Meeting Notes
- Caesar Rodney H.S. - October 3, 2017 - 6:30pm - 8pm - Draft Meeting Notes
- Sussex Central H.S. - October 5, 2017 - 6:30pm - 8pm - Draft Meeting Notes
The Anti-Discrimination Development Team will review, advise and provide feedback on a draft anti-discrimination regulation and model policy that has been developed, that can then be shared by the larger stakeholder audience.Development Team Members
Superintendent - Smyrna SD
Superintendent - Cape Henlopen SD
Superintendent - Brandywine SD
Charter School Leader - Newark Charter School
Parent - New Castle County
Parent - Kent County
Parent - Sussex County
Board member - Sussex Co.
Board member -
New Castle Co.
Board Member - Kent Co.
Principal - Wm Henry Middle School - Capital SD
Principal - Shields Elementary - Cape Henlopen
Principal - St. Georges HS
Secretary of Education
Three student members are also participating. Due to age, student names and information have been omitted.