Social, Emotional and Behavioral Wellbeing
The Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) is committed to empowering every student to be successful in college, career and life. This success requires both academic and behavioral supports to assure that all students and school communities are protected, connected and respected.
DDOE has developed the Social, Emotional and Behavioral Wellbeing plan to support districts and schools in responding to and supporting the social, emotional and behavioral needs of students. This plan was developed across DDOE teams and with input and support from partners, including the DE- PBS Project UD Center for Disabilities (DDOE's technical assistance provider), Project DelAWARE and Project THRIVE. The plan was developed with the understanding that each district and charter school is in a different place in its implementation and understanding of Multi-Tiered Systems of Support (MTSS) (Regulation 508), other initiatives and available resources.
DDOE’s strategy is designed to inform minds, engage hearts, and motivate hands with the best and most-promising practices for whole-child wellbeing. This transformative, equity-based work focuses on four areas:
- Trauma-informed practices
- Behavioral health and wellbeing
- Social and emotional learning (SEL)
- Educator self-care and emotional resilience
Multiple collaborations with youth-serving partners across the state have been established to create common language and strengthen intersections for collective impact and community resilience. Together, we are building a stronger Delaware – one school and community at a time.
- Educator training, resources – Current educator training opportunities and resources for social, emotional and behavioral well-being. Document is continually updated.
- Strategies for whole-child wellness – DDOE’s strategic plan for social, emotional and behavioral health across the state. Includes current strategic intents.
- Social, emotional learning (SEL) toolkits - A starting point for educators, school staff and community members to begin integrating SEL into their practices and interactions with students.
- Project THRIVE - Assist schools and community members in recognizing the prevalence and impact of trauma and adversity. Includes national and local resources as well as strategies.
- Mindful Moment videos - A series of 12-minute sessions to help recharge the brain and focus attention. Lessons are available for early childhood (preschool – grade 2) and primary (grades 3-5). Secondary lessons are coming soon.
- Yoga en Español - Vídeos de yoga creados para las familias y los estudiantes de habla hispana de Delaware. (Yoga videos created for Delaware’s Spanish-speaking students and families.)
- Public Meeting Calendar – Find upcoming meeting dates, agendas and past meeting minutes for all public Delaware trauma-informed and SEL meetings.