Delaware Multi-Tiered System of Support (DE-MTSS)
Delaware’s Multi-Tiered System of Support (DE-MTSS) is a framework designed to meet the needs of the whole child at all levels of support (universal, targeted, intensive and enrichment). Using MTSS, students receive high-quality, research-based instruction and intervention based on their academic and also non-academic (behavioral, social and emotional, etc.) needs. Each student’s needs are identified and informed through screening, diagnostic tools and progress monitoring measures.
The following five essential components are necessary in a successful MTSS framework:
- A tiered system of support – Provides layers of support to address student needs.
- Data-based decision making – Uses data to make decisions about academic and non-academic supports delivered to every student.
- Team-based leadership – Includes educators, families and community members who share in the decision-making process for all students.
- Comprehensive Assessment System – Uses various types of assessments to help educators and families make informed decisions about each child’s strengths and needs.
- Selection of academic and non-academic resources, support and intervention – Establishes a process that makes certain all students receive resources and support that are evidence-based and align with existing programs and initiatives.
- Delaware Regulation 508 – Outlines MTSS requirements for Delaware schools. Includes implementing procedures and evidence-based identification practices.
- DE-MTSS infographic one-pager - Explains the different features of DE-MTSS.
- Social Emotional Learning (SEL) - Provides guidance for social and emotional learning across the developmental spectrum.
- Delaware Positive Behavior Support Project – Provides information to build the knowledge and skills of Delaware educators in the concepts and practices of Positive Behavior Supports (PBS).
- ACCESS Project – Provides information to build knowledge and skills in the practice of Universal Design for Learning (UDL).
- Parent Information Center (PIC) of Delaware - Provide information and support about MTSS for Delaware families to help them access related information and resources for their children.
- DE-MTSS Implementation Guides - Outlines the processes and resources necessary to successfully establish and implement DE-MTSS.
- DE-MTSS Technical Assistance - Offers technical assistance options to assist districts and charters with implementing MTSS.
- Additional educator resources by component - Lists resources for classroom educators and school leadership for each of the five components of successful MTSS.