Teacher Preparation Programs in Delaware
There are currently two ways to become a teacher in Delaware:
Traditional Routes to Certification
Usually a 4-year program composed of a combination of coursework and field placements in schools, culminating in a student teaching placement during the final year. Approved Institutes of Higher Education in Delaware are:
- Alternative Routes to Certification - Lic. and Cert.
- Becoming a Delaware Educator
- Employment Opportunties
Alternative Routes to Certification
Pathways that allow applicants with a bachelor's degree to earn certification by taking coursework while teaching full-time. Prior teaching experience is not required, but is encouraged. Please note that some programs require course work prior to teaching full-time. The programs listed below cover certification in some or all of the following areas: Regular Content (ex. math, science), Special Education, and Other Areas such as World Languages or Family Consumer Science.
Select the program name to visit their website.
- Devereux Advanced Behavioral Health - Autism & Severe Intellectual Disabilities
- Kutztown University - Visual Impairment
- Pyramid Educational Consultants - Autism & Severe Intellectual Disabilities
- Pyramid Sussex County Consortium (Cape Henlopen School District) - Autism & Severe Intellectual Disabilities
- Relay Graduate School - Regular Content, Special Education, administration
- Saint Joseph's University - Teacher of the Deaf and Hard of Hearing
- Teach for America - Regular Content
- University of Delaware - Regular Content, Special Education, Other Areas
- University of Delaware Master's Plus Certification - Special Education
- University of Nebraska - Visually Impaired
- Wesley College - Business, English, Math, Science
- Wilmington University - Para to Teacher
- Wilmington University - Special Education
NEW! - Overview of all Approved Delaware Alternative Routes to Certification
Questions Related to Educator Preparation Programs?
Contact: Robert Grey, Education Associate, Educator Preparation
Phone: (302) 735-4262