Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) Flexibility Waiver Renewal Application
For the past three years, the Delaware Department of Education has received a waiver from specific requirements of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act (ESEA) to support the state's efforts to ensure that every single student in the system graduates college and career ready, with the freedom to choose his or her life’s course. Through the waiver, the Department has worked to implement rigorous standards and aligned assessments, differentiated accountability systems, and strategies to improve teacher and leader effectiveness.
In November 2014, the U.S. Department of Education offered states the opportunity to apply for a renewal of the flexibility waiver for an additional three years, through the end of the 2017-2018 school year. Applications for renewal must focus on three areas:
- College- and career-ready expectations for all students
- Differentiated recognition, accountability, and support systems for schools and districts
- Supporting effective instruction and leadership
Delaware’s ESEA renewal application, which will be submitted in early 2015, will reflect the ideas and feedback collected from stakeholders across the state as well as members of the public who share their comments following a series of town hall meetings in January.
This webpage will be updated throughout early 2015 as more information becomes available. Please check back for updates!
ESEA Amendment Waiver
ESEA Participation Plan
- Delaware Participation Rate Letter - accepted by US Department of Education February 12, 2016
- Delaware Department of Education Participation Plan February 11, 2016
US Department of Education
- December 2015 letter on requirements for the 2015-2016 school year and similar requirements are included in the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA)
Updated ESEA Flexibility Renewal Documents
November 30 Proposal Documents
- Delaware Department of Education ESEA Flexibility Renewal Red-Lined Final
- Draft Delaware School Success Framework Reference Document
ESEA Flexibility Renewal Documents
June 30 Final Proposal Documents
- Delaware Department of Education ESEA Flexibility Renewal Approval Letter- July 9, 2015
- Approved Delaware Department of Education ESEA Flexibility Renewal
- Final Delaware Department of Education ESEA Flexibility Renewal Public Comments
March 31 Final Proposal Documents
- Delaware Department of Education ESEA Flexibility Renewal Proposal Final– updated March 31, 2015
- Delaware Department of Education ESEA Flexibility Renewal Red-Lined Request– updated March 31, 2015
- Public Comments Regarding ESEA Flexibility Renewal Proposal– updated March 31, 2015
March 1 Draft Proposal Documents
- Delaware Department of Education ESEA Flexibility Renewal Proposal – March 1, 2015
- Delaware Department of Education ESEA Flexibility Renewal Red-Lined Draft – March 1, 2015
- ESEA Flexibility Renewal Proposal– Presentation to House Education Committee on March 10, 2015
- ESEA Flexibility Renewal Proposal– Presentation to Delaware Education Support System (DESS) on March 11, 2015
Opportunities for Engagement
Community town halls are scheduled for the following dates and locations. Additional town halls may be scheduled and will be included on this website. Please check back for updates!
Wednesday, January 14, 6 to 7 p.m., at the Carvel State Office Building at 9th and French Streets, Wilmington ( Agenda | PowerPoint)
For those unable to join the in person town halls, the Department has also scheduled two online webinars. The webinars are scheduled for the following dates and times, and can be joined by clicking on the following links.
The webinars are hosted through Blackboard Collaborate. If you have never used Blackboard Collaborate, prior to joining the session please check your system requirements here .
If your system does not have a compatible version of Java installed, you will be prompted to select your operating system and download/install Java.
Note: When joining a Blackboard Collaborate web conferencing session for the first time you may see a security dialog box asking to confirm the application's digital signature. Click "Run" to continue.
Please send us your comments by email: DOEAccountability@doe.k12.de.us
U.S. Department of Education ESEA Flexibility Renewal Documents:
All documents produced by the U.S. Department of Education related to the ESEA Flexibility Renewal can be accessed here.
Prior Delaware ESEA Flexibility Documents:
All documents related to Delaware’s prior and currently approved ESEA Flexibility waiver can be accessed here.