Regulation 225 - Anti-Discrimination
On July 17 Governor John Carney issued a memorandum to the Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) asking DDOE to develop a regulation and model policy to address potential discrimination in Delaware schools. DDOE has been charged with specifically providing:
- Guidelines - by regulation - to help districts and charters create consistent policies statewide that prohibit discrimination based on gender, race and/or ethnicity, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or any other protected characteristic
- A model anti-discrimination policy that each district and charter could adopt, or tailor and adopt, to suit the needs of their students
Delaware's Regulation 225 originally was submitted to the Register of Regulations in November 2017. After careful review of feedback, Secretary of Education Susan Bunting made responsive changes. A revised version appeared in the June 1 Register of Regulations. Formal comment was accepted through Friday, July 6, 2018. On Thursday, Aug. 2, the following updates were released:
FORMAL COMMENT PERIOD - JUNE/JULY 2018
The Regulation 225 formal comment period closed Friday, July 6, 2018. Comments are as follows:
- From Delaware residents:
- Press Release: State seeks public comment on revised proposed antidiscrimination regulation (June 1, 2018)
- June Register: Regulation 225
- Regulation 225 Mark-Up
For information on additional Delaware Department of Education regulations, visit the DOE Regulations and Code page.
FORMAL COMMENT PERIOD - NOVEMBER/DECEMBER 2017
The formal comment period for this regulation closed Monday, Dec. 4, 2017. All comments appear below. Comments have been sorted by residency for organizational purposes. Due to the volume of comments received, minor sorting errors may occur.
- From Delaware residents:
- Draft Regulation - June Register of Regulations
- Draft Regulation - November Register of Regulations
- Draft Regulation- 9/20/2017
- Draft Policy - 9/20/2017
- PowerPoint Presentation - Used at the Community Conversations
All meetings were posted on the delaware.gov public calendar.Development Team meetings:
- Wednesday, September 6, 2017 - 6:30pm - 8pm - Meeting Notes
- Tuesday, September 12, 2017 - 6:30pm - 8pm - Meeting Notes
- Tuesday, September 19, 2017 - 3pm - 5pm - Meeting Notes
- Tuesday, October 10, 2017 - 3pm - 5pm - Meeting Notes
- Wednesday, January 31, 2018 - 6pm - 8:15pm - Meeting Notes
Public feedback on the anti-discrimination regulation and model policy will take place during the following community conversations in each county and the City of Wilmington:
- Howard H.S. - September 26, 2017 - 6:30pm - 8pm - Meeting Notes
- A.G. Waters Middle school - September 28, 2017 - 6:30pm - 8pm - Meeting Notes
- Caesar Rodney H.S. - October 3, 2017 - 6:30pm - 8pm - Meeting Notes
- Sussex Central H.S. - October 5, 2017 - 6:30pm - 8pm - Meeting Notes
Online Survey: Comments
The Anti-Discrimination Development Team reviewed, advised and provided feedback on a draft anti-discrimination regulation and model policy that originally developed.Development Team Members
Superintendent - Smyrna SD
Superintendent - Cape Henlopen SD
Superintendent - Brandywine SD
Charter School Leader - Newark Charter School
Parent - New Castle County
Parent - Kent County
Parent - Sussex County
Board member - Sussex Co.
Board member -
New Castle Co.
Board Member - Kent Co.
Principal - Wm Henry Middle School - Capital SD
Principal - Shields Elementary - Cape Henlopen
Principal - St. Georges HS
Secretary of Education
Three student members are also participating. Due to age, student names and information have been omitted.