DE-MTSS is a framework designed to meet the needs of the whole child through an integrated, multilevel prevention system that optimizes team-based leadership and data-driven decision making to meet the academic and nonacademic (e.g., behavioral, social and emotional) needs of all students. Educators provide high-quality, core academic instruction and nonacademic practices as universal supports to all children. School teams use a universal screening process to identify students who need additional help, and they deliver evidence-based interventions and supports that match student needs and are informed by ongoing progress monitoring and additional formative assessments.
DE-MTSS includes the following five essential components:
- Data-based decision making – Uses data to make decisions about academic and non-academic supports delivered to every student.
- Team-based leadership – Includes educators, families and community members who share in the decision-making process for all students.
- A tiered system of support – Provides layers of support to address student needs.
- Comprehensive assessment system – Uses various types of assessments to help educators and families make informed decisions about each child’s strengths and needs.
- Selection of academic and non-academic resources, support and intervention – Establishes a process that makes certain all students receive resources and support that are evidence-based and align with existing programs and initiatives.
- DE-MTSS infographic one-pager - Explains the different features of DE-MTSS.
- Overview of DE-MTSS video - coming soon!