Social and Emotional Learning (SEL)
The Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) is committed to empowering every student to be successful in college, career and life. This success requires both academic and behavioral supports to assure that all students and school communities are protected, connected and respected.
Social and emotional learning (SEL) helps school communities acquire the knowledge, attitudes, and skills they need to:
- Understand and manage emotions
- Set and achieve positive goals
- Feel and show empathy for others
- Establish and maintain positive relationships
- Make responsible decisions
K-12 SEL Competencies
Delaware has developed K-12 SEL competencies through work organized by the Collaborative for Academic, Social, and Emotional Learning (CASEL). Through CASEL, DDOE and education stakeholders from districts, charters, and school and community partnerships have defined SEL competencies, developed implementation resources and promoted the integration of SEL into academic content areas. DDOE also participates in two national communities of practice to support integrating SEL in a whole child framework: the National Center to Improve Social and Emotional Learning and School Safety (NCISELSS) and
The Delaware SEL Collaborative hosts quarterly public meetings for professional learning and progress reporting. For more information, contact Delaware.SEL@doe.k12.de.us.
- Educator training, resources – Current educator training opportunities and resources for social, emotional and behavioral well-being. Document is continually updated.
- Strategies for whole-child wellness – DDOE’s strategic plan for social, emotional and behavioral health across the state. Includes current strategic intents.
- Delaware SEL competency guide – Provides guidance to Delaware districts and charter schools children build resilience through enhanced social competence and strong relationships in order for them to achieve that success. Released January 28, 2020 and vetted by more than 900 Delaware stakeholders over a six-month period.
- SEL roadmap for reopening schools – Provides support for school leaders and leadership teams in planning for the transition back to schools during the COVID pandemic. Developed by CASEL in partnership with DDOE and other stakeholders.
- CASEL Bridge Project – Integrates SEL and work-based learning standards to strengthen career pathways. Delaware is a participant through the CASEL Collaborative States Initiative.
- Delaware CASEL Bridge resources – Includes a PowerPoint overview and crosswalk resources for Delaware’s CASEL Bridge Project.
- National Center to Improve Social and Emotional Learning and School Safety (NCISELSS) – National DDOE partner helping Delaware further integrate SEL into a whole-child framework.
- Public Meeting Calendar – Find upcoming meeting dates, agendas and past meeting minutes for all public Delaware trauma-informed and SEL meetings.