Guidance for Returning to School
On July 15, 2020, Secretary of Education Susan Bunting released the state’s guidance for reopening schools for the 2020-21 academic year. This guidance was developed with the help of Delaware's COVID-19 School Reopening Working Groups to support districts and charter schools as they designed their plans for the upcoming school year. Governor John Carney, in consultation with the Delaware Division of Public Health, determines whether or not schools will start the year in person. Districts and charters will implement their plans based on the scenario that aligns with current health conditions, understanding there may be some regional variability.
District, Charter Guidance Documents
- Returning to School Guidance - En español - Guidance and support document for districts and charters as they plan for the start of the 2020-2021 school year. Essential safety protocols are included and required to be implemented by all Delaware schools, pre-K through grade 12.
- Returning to School FAQs - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) for districts and charter schools as they plan for the 2020-21 school year.
- Classroom Ready Plan - Communicates to districts and charter schools a clear, cohesive vision and approach for accelerating student learning in the beginning of the 2020-2021 school year. Includes resources and tools.
- Professional learning catalog for educators - Offers professional learning for Delaware educators.
- Instruction Partners Resource Hub - Includes concrete actions, recommendations and resources for educators to use as they prepare to move into a remote learning environment.
- Instruction Partners Guidelines for Effective Distance Learning Practices - Actionable strategies for maintaining high content and pedagogy expectations, as well as ensuring all students have access to high-quality instruction
- Student Achievement Partners Priority Instructional Content - Names instructional content priorities in mathematics (K–8, high school) and ELA/literacy (K–12) for the 2020–21 academic year. Provides guidance for the field about the content priorities by leveraging the structure and emphases of college- and career-ready mathematics and ELA/literacy standards.
- Delaware Professional Learning Partner Guide - Identifies partner organizations who have the expertise and ability to provide the professional learning (PL) and coaching needed to help Delaware educators provide curriculum-aligned instruction in every classroom, every day. Details are included in this presentation.
- CCSSO Academic Guidance - Designed to support states and school systems in addressing the critical set of challenges for teaching and learning in the 2020-2021 school year. Consists of customizable guidance and vetted resources designed to:
- Support school systems as they thoughtfully plan for a strong launch and school year in a rapidly shifting environment
- Prioritize equity for all learners
- EdReports Enhanced Reports with Key Technology Information - Information collected from publishers to empower local schools and districts with evidence to select materials that will work best for them given their technological capabilities and instructional vision.
- Collaborative for Student Success - Publishers whose materials are rated green on EdReports post information about their adaptations, programs, and resources being developed to meet the COVID context.
- Reopening school considerations amid Coronavirus, social injustices - Developed collaboratively with Delaware students, educators and caregivers to best address student needs as schools begin instruction. Includes best practices in all educational settings and circumstances. Additionally highlights first-person narratives from educators and families.
- Driver Education Guidance Document - Guidance for driver education in the 2020-21 school year. Includes protocols, driving range options and more.
- Additional instructional resources for educators - Links to instructional resources available to schools as they plan for different models and methods of instructional delivery and, to the extent possible, the delivery of social and related services.
- Supporting student, staff socio-emotional and behavioral health needs - Assists districts and charters in assessing, planning and implementing strategies to support student and staff wellbeing and mental health when reopening.
- School health return-to-school additional guidance – Provides supplemental information for school nurses for reopening. (Note to School Nurses: Please refer back to this webpage periodically for updates and/or additional information.)
- Considerations for students with special healthcare needs - Supplements information found in the Returning to School guidance and school health return-to-school additional guidance. Primarily for use by school nurses collaborating with school personnel providing care for students with special healthcare needs.
- School Support Opportunities - A list of non-profit, community and agency support available to Delaware districts and charter schools in the 2020-21 school year.
- Internet resources - Support available to help Delaware families connect to the internet during the 2020-21 school year. Services are continually updated so families should contact providers directly for more information, including potential changes.
- Child care resources - A list of hybrid and remote learning support for families of school-age children. Includes resources for early learners.
- Governor Carney student welcome - Governor Carney welcomes students back to school for the 2020-21 school year.
- Secretary Bunting school staff welcome - Delaware Education Secretary Susan Bunting welcomes school staff back to school for the 2020-21 school year.
- Coming soon: Delaware back-to-school video (elementary) – Welcomes elementary students back to school buildings and features best practices for mitigating the spread of COVID-19. Includes a welcome from Governor Carney.
- Coming soon: Delaware back-to-school video (secondary) – Welcomes middle and high school students back to school buildings and features best practices for mitigating the spread of COVID-19. Includes a welcome from Governor Carney.
- Additional COVID-19 communication resources for schools – Offers additional COVID-19-related video and print resources for schools to use when communicating with students and families. Covers mask requirements, social distancing and more.