2014-15 Charter School Performance Fund Information
About the Charter School Performance FundThe Delaware Department of Education invites eligible applicants to apply to the Charter School Performance Fund (or the “Fund”) outlined in Delaware Education Law §509(m):
- “The Department of Education shall administer a performance fund for charter schools, to be known as the ‘Charter School Performance Fund.’ The Department of Education shall establish threshold eligibility requirements for applicants desiring to apply for funding, which shall include but not be limited to a proven track record of success, as measured by a performance framework established by the charter school's authorizer or comparable measures as defined by the Department. The Department of Education shall also establish criteria to evaluate applications for funding, which shall include but not be limited to the availability of supplemental funding from non-state sources at a ratio to be determined by the Department. The Department of Education shall prioritize those applications from applicants that have:
1) Developed high-quality plans for start-up or expansion; or
- 2) Serve high-need students, as defined by the Department.
The Fund shall be subject to appropriation and shall not exceed $5 million annually.”
2013-14 Appropriation and Size of Awards
$2 million has been appropriated in the Fund’s first year and the Department reserves the right to determine number of grantees and size of awards.
The Delaware Department of Education recognizes that plans proposed in response to this application may require applicants to apply to open new charter schools or modify existing charters with their authorizer. Therefore, Fund awards that require authorizer approval are contingent upon receiving or modifying a charter during the concurrent charter application cycle.
For Charter Schools Currently in Operation
- “Meets Standard” overall ratings in Financial and Organizational Frameworks AND
- At least “Meets Standard” overall ratings in Academic Framework OR
- “Does Not Meet Standard” overall ratings in Academic Framework with demonstrated performance improvement over the 2011-12 school year.
For High Performing Charter Schools Replicating in Delaware - Not Yet in Operation
- Charter School application approved by the Delaware Department of Education, with assent from the State Board of Education.
April 15 - Applications Due
End of June - Awards Announced
After July 1 - Funds Released
Please e-mail Jennifer Nagourney at Jennifer.Nagourney@doe.k12.de.us.
Performance Fund Budget Sheet: Excel