Delaware’s vision is that every learner across the state leaves school ready for success in college, career, and life. In order to achieve this vision, teachers must provide students with high-quality, standards-aligned instruction every day. For teachers to be fully prepared for every lesson, school leaders must then provide teachers with standards-aligned instructional materials and the support needed to use those materials well.
Globally, professional learning is defined as a comprehensive, sustained, and intensive approach to improving educators’ effectiveness in raising student achievement. Professional learning that is directly aligned to standards and curriculum leads to improvement in: educator practice, student achievement, and school outcomes.
In 2012, Delaware’s Professional Standards Board adopted statewide professional learning standards that are grounded in Learning Forward’s standards. The Delaware Standards for Professional Learning describe the context, processes, and content for effective, high-quality professional learning, and set clear expectations at the state, district, and school level.
2020-2021 RPL Grant Criteria:
The goal of the 2020-2021 Reimagining Professional Learning (RPL) Grants is to create sustainable professional learning systems that lead to improved teacher practice and student learning.
2020-2021 RPL Schools commit to:
- establishing a culture of professional learning that is responsive to teachers’ and students’ needs;
- ensuring that teachers have access to high-quality instructional materials, and the training and ongoing professional learning needed to use those materials well;
- building ownership and school capacity in high-quality professional learning by engaging both school leaders and teachers in the development and execution of the professional learning plan; and
- following a cycle of inquiry that aligns professional learning to academic goals, plans and executes strategies to achieve academic goals, and monitor progress along the way.
- 2020 - 2021 Reimagining Professional Learning Grant - Revised 3-26-2020 (includes Appendix A, B, C, F & G)
- Appendix D - Subgrant Budget Form
- Appendix E - State Subgrant Application
New Delaware Professional Learning Vendor Guide
The DDOE is committed to supporting districts and schools in creating sustainable professional learning systems that lead to improved teacher practice and student learning. To that end, the Department released the Delaware Professional Learning Partner Guide that identifies partner organizations who have the expertise and ability to provide the professional learning (PL) and coaching needed to help Delaware educators provide curriculum-aligned instruction in every classroom, every day. Schools and districts applying for a 2020-2021 RPL grant are encouraged to use the guide to select a PL partner to support grant activities.
- Public Notice - January 29, 2020
- Grant Overview Webinar - January 29, 2020 (recorded)
- Submission of Letter of Intent (required) - February 28, 2020
- Professional Learning Summit (attendance required) - March 12 - March 13, 2020
- Del-One Conference Center in Dover, Delaware
- PDMS Registration: Course #28885, Section #53563
- Technical Assistance Virtual Sessions (optional) - By appointment beginning April 7th, 2020
- Availability: Tuesdays 9:00-9:45am / 10:00 - 10:45am
- Please email reimaginingPL@doe.k12.de.us to secure an appointment during those office hours.
- Deadline for Questions - May 15, 2020
- Response to Questions Posted by - May 29, 2020
- Deadline for Receipt of Proposals - June 5, 2020 (3:00pm)
- Estimated Notification of Award (pending revisions) - July 2020
If you have questions regarding the Reimagining Professional Learning Grant, please contact the grant team at reimaginingPL@doe.k12.de.us
If you have education-related questions or suggestions regarding Professional Learning in Delaware, please contact the Professional Learning workgroup at 302-735-4180 or visit the Staff Directory.