Delaware Early Learner Survey (DE-ELS)
All kindergarten students in Delaware public schools participate in the Delaware Early Learner Survey (DE-ELS). This survey asks kindergarten teachers to observe and record each child’s knowledge and skills to determine any supports needed to succeed in kindergarten and beyond.
DE-ELS is a developmentally-appropriate, whole-child survey. During the first 30 days of school, teachers observe a set of 34 objectives related to six developmental domains: social-emotional, physical, language, cognitive, literacy, mathematics. Students whose primary language is not English may receive an additional domain: English Language Acquisition. Learn more about the survey's objectives.
DE-ELS results allow educators, families and the state to identify:
- Resources the child may need to customize instruction to children's needs in all developmental domains
- How to best support young children's progress before, during and after kindergarten
- Ways to support early learning and kindergarten teachers and administrators throughout Delaware
Download the DE-ELS family flier for more information.
DE-ELS Survey Results
- 2016-18 Early Learner Survey - full report
- Key Findings- Fall 2018
- Key Findings- Fall 2017
- Key Findings - Fall 2016
- Giving the DE-ELS Survey: Learn more about the process for implementing the yearly DE-ELS Survey to Delaware kindergarten students.
- DE-ELS Schoology Course: Access DE-ELS resources for Delaware teachers. Provides guidance for English learners, dual immersion students and students with disabilities. Includes webinars, information on inputting results, running GOLD and EdInsight reports and more. Contact email@example.com for the DE-ELS Schoology access code.
- GOLD® Login: Allows teachers to input observational data on each domain for each kindergarten student.
DE-ELS Implementation Information
Implementation Calendars and Updates
- 2019-20 DE-ELS Survey Process Overview
- 2019-20 Administrator and Kindergarten Teacher Timelines
- 2019-20 DE-ELS Survey Fact Sheet
- 2019-20 Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
- Kindergarten Teachers' Past Strategies for Observing Objectives
Guidance for English Learners and Dual Immersion
- DE-ELS Guidance for English Learners
- DE-ELS Guidance on Home Language Survey Process
- DE-ELS Guidance for Immersion Programs
- Language-free and Language-dependent Objectives by Domain
Guidance for Students with Disabilities
- Guidelines for Recording Observations for Students with Disabilities
- Recording Accommodations and Supports on DE-ELS
- Meeting the Needs of Students with Disabilities
- Introduction to DE-ELS Family Flyer
- Note to Kindergarten Teachers on DE-ELS Family Questionnaires
- Welcome Kindergarten Families! Questionnaire
- Getting to Know Your Family Questionnaire (English)
- Getting to Know Your Family Questionnaire (Spanish)
- DE-ELS GOLD Home Language Survey (English and Spanish)
- Letter to Accompany Family Questionnaire Home (Word Template)