Delaware First Certification
Delaware First – also known as the Delaware First Professional Development System for Early Care and Education and School-Age Programs – is the online system used to certify early learning educators. Delaware requires all early learning educators to be certified by the state before working with children in early childcare or school-age care centers. Educators can receive the following certificates in Delaware:
- Early Care and Education Certificate: Work with children from birth through pre-kindergarten in childcare settings. Requirements includes training, age, education and experience.
- School-Age Certificate: Work with children from kindergarten through age eight in school-age settings. Requirements includes training, age, education and experience.
Delaware First makes the process of getting certified easy. Once educators meet the requirements for Delaware early care or school-age certification, they submit their documentation to Delaware First. Educators will then receive a certification for employment. Early learning professionals are encouraged to continue working and furthering their education in order to move to the next qualification level.
If you don't have a Delaware First account, we have instructions on how to set one up and log on to IMS.
- Get an early learning educator certification
Step 1. Review the certification requirements listed above
Step 2. Log into your IMS account and select the Delaware First icon
Step 3. Complete your profile, education, and professional development (PD) training
Step 4. Enter your experience – all parties must sign the Verification of Experience form to get credit for experience
Step 5. Upload all documents in .pdf format
Step 6. Submit your application – you may check the status of your qualification at any time
Step 7. Print certificate once issued
Please Note: Applications must contain required documentation. Applications with missing documentation will be denied and applicants required to reapply.
- Delaware First help: Get additional help to use the Delaware First system, including how to upload documents. Includes a list of frequently asked questions (FAQs).
- Request a copy of your certificate: Use this form to request a copy of your early learning certificate. Delaware First users can print a copy of their certificate directly from the Delaware First system. This form is for those who do not have access to a certificate on Delaware First.
- International diplomas and transcripts: Find information on demonstrating proof of education and experience earned outside of the United States.