CTE and Perkins Plan Information
Perkins V and CTE Subcommittee Overview
The State Board of Education (SBE) is the "eligible state agency" (Title 14, Chapter 33. § 3310) authorized under the Carl D. Perkins Career & Technical Education Act of 2006 and is responsible for leading the state plan development, establishing administrative and evaluation routines, providing oversight of the distribution of federal funds, and coordinating activities with the State Workforce Development Board related to career and technical education programs in the State of Delaware.
On July 31, 2018, President Trump signed the Strengthening Career and Technical Education (CTE) for the 21st Century Act (referred to as Perkins V) into law. The new law will go into effect on July 1, 2019, and the first year of implementation will be considered a "transition year". The eligible state agency is required to submit a one-year transition plan prior to April 30, 2019. Once approved in July 2019, the eligible state agency will be required to develop a full four-year state plan, covering the requirements of the Act, to be submitted by April 2020. The full four-year state plan will encompass program years 2020 (SY 2020-2021) to 2024 (SY 2024-2025).
The SBE has established a CTE Subcommittee to provide guidance and technical assistance to the SBE and the Delaware Department of Education (DDOE) staff who supervise Career & Technical Education (CTE) as required under Perkins V. As such, the CTE Subcommittee will:
- Participate in a series of informational and development meetings;
- Define methods of technical assistance and engagement with various stakeholder groups, local education agencies, and postsecondary institutions;
- Communicate subcommittee initiatives to various stakeholder groups, local education agencies, and postsecondary institutions;
- Facilitate state-wide collaboration meetings between the subcommittee and various stakeholder groups through both face-to-face and online formats; and
- Review and provide feedback to the SBE and DDOE on the development of a transition plan to be submitted in 2019 and the full four-year state plan to be submitted in 2020.
Final approval of the transition plan and full four-year state plan will be coordinated with the Office of Governor John Carney.
The following representatives have agreed to participate in the CTE Subcommittee:
- Vince Lofink, Delaware State Board of Education
- James Ascione, Building Trades
- Tony Alleyne, Delaware College Scholars
- Liza Bartle, Delaware State Chamber of Commerce
- Suzanne L. Burton, University of Delaware
- Matthew Burrows, Appoquinimink School District
- Anthony Carmen, Sussex Tech High School
- Ed Capodanno, ABC Delaware
- Manera Constantine, Delaware Advisory Council on Career and Technical Education
- Barry Crozier, Delaware State Chamber of Commerce
- Jodine Cybulski, Polytech High School
- Jennifer Davis, Department of Education
- Glen Gray, Delaware State Chamber of Commerce
- Terrell Holmes, Delaware State University
- Warren Howell, parent
- Betsy Jones, Polytech School District
- Joseph Jones, New Castle County Vo-Tech School District
- Sherry Kijowski, Caesar Rodney High School
- Stacey Laing, Delaware Department of Labor
- Ashley Lipson, Odyssey Charter School
- Senator Elizabeth Lockman, Delaware State Senate
- Bill Potter, Delaware Workforce Development Board
- Denise Purnell-Cuff, Delaware Services for Children, Youth, and Their Families
- Luke Rhine, Department of Education
- Dina Sanchez, La Colectiva de Delaware
- Justina Sapna, Delaware Technical & Community College
- Jon Sheehan, Office of the Governor
- Bryon Short, Delaware Contractors Association
- Mark Stellini, Assurance Media
- Melissa Tooles, Capital School District
- June Wicks, Smyrna School District
- Maureen Whelan, Delaware Department of Education
- Representative Kimberly Williams, Delaware House of Representatives
Perkins V Transition Plan
Subcommittee meeting materials have been uploaded to the State Board of Education eBoard site.
- February 13, 2019 Committee meeting: Materials | Minutes
- March 7, 2019 Committee meeting: Materials | Minutes
The draft Perkins V Transition Plan was shared with the State Board of Education at their March 21, 2019 meeting. The draft Transition Plan was posted for public comment from March 22, 2019 through April 10, 2019. Public comment received for the Perkins V transition plan can be found here. The Board approved the draft Transition Plan at their April 18, 2019 meeting.
The Final Perkins V Transition Plan, as approved by the U.S. Department of Education
Perkins V Four Year State Plan
The subcommittee met on the following dates to provide input on the four year state plan:
- August 14, 2019, 2:30-4:30pm, Dover
- September 11, 2019, 2:30-4:30pm, Dover
- October 9, 2019, 2:00 -4:00pm, Dover
- October 23, 2019, 2:00-4:00pm, Dover
- December 4, 2019, 2:00-4:00pm, Dover
Subcommittee meeting materials are available on the State Board of Education eBoard site.
The draft plan was developed with input from the CTE subcommittee (see information above). As of December 2019, more than 550 people were directly engaged in the development of the draft plan and more than 1,500 people received communication on the topic.
The draft Perkins V State Plan was shared with the State Board of Education at its December 19, 2019 meeting. The draft State Plan was open for public comment from December 23, 2019 through February 21, 2020. Information sessions were held on January 30that 4:30pm and 5:00pm (Townsend Building, Dover), February 4that 4:30pm and 5:00pm (New Castle Public Library, New Castle) and February 12 at 4:30pm and 5:00pm (Georgetown Public Library, Georgetown).
Public comment received for the Perkins V Four Year State Plan can be found here. The Board will take action on the draft State Plan at its March 19, 2020 meeting.