• Interpreter Tutor for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing

  • Interpreter Tutor for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing Eligibility

    To be eligible for an Interpreter Tutor for the Deaf/Hard of Hearing Permit, the educator must first meet the following requirements:

    • Hold a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in any field from a regionally accredited college or university, which has been submitted through an official transcript in DEEDS; AND either:
      • Holds national certification as a Generalist by the National Registry of Interpreters for the Deaf (“RID”); or
      • Is a certified member of RID as an Educational Interpreter Performance Assessment (“EIPA”) credentialed interpreter who achieved a level 4.0 or higher on the Elementary or Secondary American Sign Language video stimulus tapes evaluation. For purposes of Regulation 764, EIPA includes both the Written Test and video stimulus tapes evaluation.
    • To renew this Permit every 5 years, an educator must submit documentation in DEEDS showing current RID or EIPA credentials.

    Top of Page

  • Registering for an Educator Account in DEEDS

    The Delaware Educator Data System (DEEDS) is a database system which stores your personal educator data. The system communicates with PHRST, the State of Delaware’s Payroll system. This database stores your personal information, email, transcripts, employment information, graduate salary increments, and any other relevant data that is uploaded by the Delaware Department of Education or your employing entity. DEEDS can be accessed by your District or School’s HR Department; however, they can only access certain data. Only the Delaware Department of Education can access all the information in your DEEDS account.

    To apply for a new license, certificate or permit, you must have an account in the Delaware Educator Data System (DEEDS).

    • If you already registered in DEEDS, you may skip this step. 
    • If you are not registered in DEEDS, you must first register and apply via the DEEDS Registration Page to create a profile record (i.e., name, contact information, education information, student teaching, work experience, etc.).

    You may stop at this point and you will only have created your account in DEEDS. You have not yet applied for a teaching license and certificate. When you continue, there will be a $100 application fee which is reimbursable upon employment in a Delaware public school.

    Note the following:

    • You must continue, following the DEEDS Application Process Steps to apply for a Delaware Teaching License and Certificate.
    • If you intend to apply for a Delaware Teaching License and Certificate, you must request to have all required documentation of official transcripts, certificates, work experience, and test scores sent to the appropriate location.
      • Employed applicants should have their documents forwarded to their district office or charter school HR staff.  Documents submitted by districts and charters must have met the standard of official documents when first received at the district- or school-level and will be shared with the Delaware Department of Education.
      • Non-Employed applicants should have their documents forwarded to the Department’s Licensure and Certification office:

    Delaware Department of Education
    Licensure & Certification
    Collette Education Resource Center
    35 Commerce Way, Suite 1
    Dover, DE 19904
    Email: deeds@doe.k12.de.us

    • Your License and Certificate(s) cannot be processed until ALL documentation listed on your application are officially received.  You can monitor this by visiting the DEEDS website and signing into your DEEDS account. Your email address must be kept current at all times.

    Given the volume of applications and documents received, it is your responsibility to timely provide the required documentation and monitor your application in DEEDS.

    Top of Page

  • DEEDS Application Process Steps

    1. Create an account in DEEDS.
      • If you do not have an account, create a profile in DEEDS via the DEEDS registration page.
      • If you are employed in the Delaware public school system, login via EdAccess login page.
      • If you are not employed in the Delaware public school system, login via the DEEDS Login page.
        • If you have forgotten your username, use the "Forgot UserName" link.
        • If you have forgotten your password, use the "Forgot Password" link.
    2. Apply for the appropriate permit you wish to obtain.
    3. Request to send all official documentation:
      • All official transcripts.
      • Test Scores, if applicable.
    4. DDOE Staff will review application and documentation.
    5. DDOE staff will update your application status.  You will receive an email indicating:
      • You met certification requirements
      • You did not meet certification requirements and what documents are still needed.
    6. You may apply for employment while your Permit is pending. Districts and charter schools will have access to your application information via DEEDS.

    Top of Page

  • Documentation Guidelines for Submission

    All documents, with the exception of copies of out-of-state and/or national certificates (if applicable), must be official, meaning that they must be sent directly from the appropriate third party (e.g., the college/university, testing organization, former employer, independent credentialing agency) to the Department electronically to deeds@doe.k12.de.us, or forwarded unopened, by mail to the Department by the candidate.  Applicants submitting test scores should be sure to review the Testing Guidelines for test-specific submission procedures.

    Top of Page

  • Delaware Department of Education
    Licensure & Certification
    Collette Education Resource Center
    35 Commerce Way, Suite 1
    Dover, DE 19904

    Feel free to contact us:
    M-F 8:00 AM-4:30 PM

    Website Feedback

Last Modified on August 16, 2020