To be considered for teacher licensure and certification in Delaware, educators must apply using the online application found in the Delaware Educator Data System (DEEDS). Applying for licensure is a two-step process. To review specific certificate area application requirements, refer to New Delaware Educators for a list of educator certificate categories.
If you already have a pending application and wish to add a certification area application, or hold a Delaware teaching license and certificate and wish to add another certification area, refer to Apply for Additional Certification for instructions.
This Application Process page includes the following sections:
Registering for an Educator Account in DEEDS
The Delaware Educator Data System (DEEDS) is a database system which stores your personal educator data. The system communicates with PHRST, the State of Delaware’s Payroll system. This database stores your personal information, email, transcripts, employment information, graduate salary increments, and any other relevant data that is uploaded by the Delaware Department of Education or your employing entity. DEEDS can be accessed by your District or School’s HR Department; however, they can only access certain data. Only the Delaware Department of Education can access all the information in your DEEDS account.
To apply for a new license, certificate or permit, you must have an account in the Delaware Educator Data System (DEEDS).
- If you already registered in DEEDS, you may skip this step.
- If you are not registered in DEEDS, you must first register and apply via the DEEDS Registration Page to create a profile record (i.e., name, contact information, education information, student teaching, work experience, etc.).
You may stop at this point and you will only have created your account in DEEDS. You have not yet applied for a teaching license and certificate. When you continue, there will be a $100 application fee which is reimbursable upon employment in a Delaware public school.
Note the following:
- You must continue, following the DEEDS Application Process Steps to apply for a Delaware Teaching License and Certificate.
- If you intend to apply for a Delaware Teaching License and Certificate, you must request to have all required documentation of official transcripts, certificates, work experience, and test scores sent to the appropriate location.
- Employed applicants should have their documents forwarded to their district office or charter school HR staff. Documents submitted by districts and charters must have met the standard of official documents when first received at the district- or school-level and will be shared with the Delaware Department of Education.
- Non-Employed applicants should have their documents forwarded to the Department’s Licensure and Certification office:
Delaware Department of Education
Licensure & Certification
Collette Education Resource Center
35 Commerce Way, Suite 1
Dover, DE 19904
- Your License and Certificate(s) cannot be processed until ALL documentation listed on your application are officially received. You can monitor this by visiting the DEEDS website and signing into your DEEDS account. Your email address must be kept current at all times.
Given the volume of applications and documents received, it is your responsibility to timely provide the required documentation and monitor your application in DEEDS.
DEEDS Application Process Steps
- Log in to your DEEDS account.
- If you are a new applicant and do not have an account, create a profile in DEEDS via the DEEDS registration page.
- If you are employed in the Delaware public school system, login via the EdAccess login page.
- If you are not employed in the Delaware public school system, login via the DEEDS login page.
- If you have forgotten your username, use the "Forgot UserName" link.
- If you have forgotten your password, use the "Forgot Password" link.
- Apply for the appropriate License and Certificate(s) for the content area you want to teach.
- Have a credit card (not a debit card) at hand. There will be a one-time $100 application fee, which is reimbursable upon employment in a Delaware public or charter school.
- Request to send all official documentation:
- All official transcripts.
- Test Scores.
- Proof of student teaching, if not on your transcript.
- Scores on Performance Assessments (ETS, Pearson, ACTFL).
- If you are applying with credentials from out-of-state or out-of-country, there may be additional requirements.
- To ensure speedy processing, please ensure that you follow the documentation guidelines for submission.
- Upon receipt of all documentation, DDOE Staff will review the application and documentation.
- DDOE staff will update your application status. You will receive an email indicating:
- If you met certification requirements; or
- If you did not meet certification requirements you will be notified of the documents that are still needed.
- You may apply for employment while your License and Certificate(s) are pending. Districts and charter schools will have access to your application information via DEEDS.
- Log in to your DEEDS account.