To be considered for teacher licensure and certification in Delaware, educators must apply using the online application found in the Delaware Educator Data System (DEEDS). Applying for licensure is a two-step process. To review specific certificate area application requirements, refer to New Delaware Educators for a list of educator certificate categories.
If you already have a pending application and wish to add a certification area application, or hold a Delaware teaching license and certificate and wish to add another certification area, refer to Apply for Additional Certification for instructions.
This Application Process page includes the following sections:
DEEDS Application Process Steps
- Log in to your DEEDS account via the EdAccess login page.
- Apply for the appropriate License and Certificate(s) for the content area you want to teach.
- Have a credit card (not a debit card) at hand. There will be a one-time $100 application fee, which is reimbursable upon employment in a Delaware public or charter school when the educator is fully licensed and certified.
- Request to send all official documentation:
- All official transcripts.
- Test Scores (Praxis, ACTFL.) - if applicable (not required for reciprocity applications)
- Proof of student teaching, if not on your transcript.
- Copy of your out-of-state credential, if applicable.
- Verification of Experience (Form E or Form E/NT), if applicable (for out-of-state reciprocity applicants)
- Upon receipt of all documentation, DDOE Staff will review the application and documentation.
- DDOE staff will update your application status within DEEDS. You can monitor the application progress by clicking the "View My Applications" button on the DEEDS Educator Dashboard. Each application is shown with progress banners to indicate where the application is within the review and approval process.
- If additional documentation is needed to process your application, then a red "Respond to Deficiency" button will appear on the DEEDS Educator Dashboard. You will need to respond to the deficiency from within the DEEDS application, providing whatever additional information is requested in order for the application process to continue. This is the communication between DDOE and the applicant during the application process.
- You may apply for employment while your License and Certificate(s) are pending. Districts and charter schools will have access to your application information via DEEDS.