• Non-U.S. Applicant Certification

  • Official Evaluation Report

    Please note that applicants who hold licensure/certification from Guam or Puerto Rico should refer to Out-Of-State Applicant Certification.

    Applicants who have attended and/or graduated from a non-U.S. college or university will follow the same application process as all other applicants with one exception: such applicants must have their transcripts evaluated by an independent agency. This agency will conduct a two-step process:

    1. Translate the transcript (if translation is necessary)
    2. Determine how the coursework taken by an individual equates to coursework offered at American colleges and universities, which are regionally accredited. Even if a transcript is in English, the transcript must undergo the evaluation process.

    It is critical that the applicant ensure that they order the appropriate documents from an approved professional organization.

    Please note the following when applying for licensure and certification from a non-U.S. college or university:

    • Evaluation reports should be sent directly to the Department from the agency, or an unopened copy should be forwarded by the individual to:

    Delaware Department of Education
    Licensure & Certification
    Collette Education Resource Center
    35 Commerce Way, Suite 1
    Dover, DE 19904

    • An individual does not send the transcripts on which the evaluation is based. Instead, the official evaluation report will substitute for the transcripts.
    • An official evaluation report should include the following:
      • A course-by course evaluation of the applicant’s non-U.S. coursework as it compares to a four-year college or university program or degree in the U.S.
      • The semester-hour equivalent of each area of college-level study.
      • A translation of course titles into the English language (if applicable).
      • Verification of the completion of teaching certificate and practice/student teaching (if applicable).
    • Evaluation reports of foreign education credentials will only be accepted from members of either of the following professional organizations:
      • National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) member agencies. The NACES Members site maintains a complete listing of acceptable agencies.
      • The Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE). The AICE Endorsed Members site maintains a complete listing of acceptable agencies.
  • DEEDS Online Application for Non-U.S. Applicants

    When applying in DEEDS, it is not unusual in DEEDS for applicants with a non-U.S. educational background to have difficulty entering their college/university information. To enter the foreign credential in DEEDS, enter Foreign Institution in the School Name entry field.

    All new applicants need to apply in the Delaware Educator Data System (DEEDS) and complete the requirements for a New Delaware Educator and selecting the appropriate certification area for which the applicant is applying.

  • Non-refundable Fee for First Delaware License

    Beginning January 15, 2016, a one-time non-refundable fee of $100 will be charged to educators applying for their first license in Delaware (Initial, Continuing, or Advanced). The applicant must also meet certification requirements prior to a license being issued. The fee will be retained by the State of Delaware whether or not the transaction results in the issuance of a license and certificate.  Refer to 14 Del.C. §122 (27) for details regarding the rules and regulations.

    Top of Page

Last Modified on July 19, 2022