Testing is a vital part of the licensure and certification process. Testing is used to ensure that an educator has demonstrated the required knowledge and skills necessary to teach competently and to obtain a desired credential. This Testing Guidelines page includes the following sections:
Delaware requires the verification of test scores achieved on exams such as the Praxis II examinations or the American Council on the Testing of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) testing, as applicable to the area of certification sought. The applicant must achieve a passing test score as established by the Professional Standards Board (PSB), where applicable.
An educator with less than one year of licensed experience will need to pass an approved Performance Assessment within two years upon employment in a Delaware public or charter school and being issued an Initial License. Educators who teach in a vocational trade and industry field or in a Skilled and Technical Sciences (STS) course of study will have six (6) years to complete the Performance Assessment upon employment in a Delaware public or charter school and being issued an Initial License.
Test scores used for licensure and certification purposes must be official. Candidates should designate the Department as a recipient of their test scores.
Before ordering a transcript to use as a means of score verification, one should be certain that the desired scores and related data do in fact appear on the transcript. Official college transcripts, for example, do not always include scores. Even in cases where scores may appear on an unofficial college transcript, they may not appear on the official version of that same transcript.
Certification Related Testing
Praxis II Tests:
- Praxis II testing requirements are outlined in the Delaware Test Requirements, or visit the specific PSB certification regulation that states the test number that a candidate must pass and the qualifying cut scores for passing.
- A candidate may register for PRAXIS II, or have scores sent to the Department, in one of two ways:
- Visit Registration Now! at Educational Testing Services (ETS) and select the Delaware Department of Education as a score recipient.
- Call ETS at 1-800-772-9476.
- When registering for the test and sending scores, a candidate should provide the Department’s Recipient Code of R7065.
- Praxis II scores are sent to the Department electronically and become accessible to Department personnel approximately two-three weeks after a test-taker receives his or her mailed score report. Candidates should keep this delay in mind when viewing their scores in their DEEDS profile.
- Praxis II scores can be viewed in an educator's DEEDS profile under “What Can I Do Today,” “View Documents Received” and “Test Scores.”
- Please note before registering and sending scores that the State of Delaware has not approved a PRAXIS II test for all certificated areas. Moreover, areas exist where Education Testing Service (ETS) may offer more than one version of a PRAXIS II area test, and only one of which has been approved by the State of Delaware. It is the responsibility of the educator to make sure that he or she is registering for the proper test, or that (in the case of out-of-state educators) he or she is not requesting that ETS send a PRAXIS II score that the State of Delaware will not recognize. Tests may have similar names, so one should register by test number and name. Please refer to the Delaware Test Requirements for all approved tests.
American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Tests:
- The American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) scores must be received officially, meaning they must be sent electronically by ACTFL or received in an approved, unopened envelope.
- ACTFL testing requirements are outlined in the specific PSB certification regulation that states the test that a candidate must pass and the qualifying scores for passing.
- Educators should register for the appropriate assessment through Language Testing International (LTI).
- When registering for the test and arranging for scores to be sent, a candidate should have an official copy of the scores sent to:
Delaware Department of Education
Licensure & Certification
Collette Education Resource Center
35 Commerce Way, Suite 1
Dover, DE 19904
- The ACTFL tests apply to the following PSB regulation and certification areas
Performance Assessment Tests:
- If you did not take or pass a Delaware-approved Performance Assessment test during your educator preparation program while you were in college, please speak with your HR department to ensure that you are preparing for the appropriate test.
- If you took a Delaware-approved Performance Assessment (edTPA or PPAT) during your educator preparation program, your scores should be sent to the Delaware Department of Education or to your HR Department.
- If you took the PPAT Performance Assessment with Educational Testing Service (ETS) aor you are arranging for scores to be sent, visit the Educational Testing Services (ETS) website. The candidate should provide the Delaware Department of Education’s Recipient Code of R7065.
- If you took the edTPA Performance Assessment with Pearson and you are arranging for scores to be sent, visit the edTPA website and Click “Candidates” in the top navigation. Candidate should provide the Delaware Department of Education as a recipient.
- If you took another State’s created and approved Performance Assessment and are arranging for scores to be sent, to Delaware, the candidate should contact the state governing body for education in which they took the assessment and arrange to have the scores sent to Delaware.
- Scores must be received officially, meaning they must be sent electronically or must be received in an approved, unopened envelope.
- The following list of certification areas are exempt from passing a Performance Assessment:
- Elementary School Counselor
- Secondary School Counselor
- Driver Education and Traffic Safety Education Teacher
- School Nurse
- School Psychologist
- School Social Worker