• Access the new DEEDS 3.0 through EdAccess/Classlink. If you do not already have an EdAccess

    or Classlink account, click the DEEDS icon and follow the instructions to request an account.

    DEEDS logo


  • Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • Application Process

    How long will it take for my application to be reviewed?
    Once we receive all required documents for your certification, you then move forward to our worklist to be processed. This process could take a few months depending on the volume of applicants.

    How can I check the status of my application?
    Access your DEEDS account, then click the "View My Applications" button on the Educator Dashboard. Each of your applications will be shown along with progress banners to let you know the current status of the application. The progress banners allow you to see if your license/certificate has been issued and if your application is complete.

    Do I need to submit separate applications to be certified in more than one subject area?
    Yes. A separate application must be submitted for each certification area. You will not be charged an additional license fee when applying for additional certifications.

    Will my certificate be mailed once my application has been approved?
    No. Paper certificates are no longer printed and mailed. Your license/certificate will be emailed to you, so please keep your email address updated. You may also access your DEEDS account and print your credential at any time. To do this, log on to your DEEDS account, then click the "Print My Credentials" button on the Educator Dashboard.

    What does “Deficient” mean when I monitor my application?
    It means that there is additional documentation required to complete the application process. The application process will not continue until the deficiency is addressed by the applicant. Click the "Respond to Deficiency" button on the Educator Dashboard or from within the "View My Applications" page, and provide the documentation requested.

    Top of Page

    Documentation Requirements

    What kind of documents can I upload?
    Only certain documents can be uploaded to DEEDS by the educator. You need to submit official sealed transcripts to us directly, as you are not able to upload them to DEEDS yourself. If you are employed, the school/district can upload the transcripts for you. To see which document types you can upload directly, click the "View/Update My File" button from the Educator Dashboard and then select the "Documents" tab. Document types that can be uploaded are listed in the "Document Type" dropdown list at the bottom of the page.

    How do I upload my documents?
    DEEDS can serve as a repository for all certification related documents. Official documents, such as transcripts, cannot be uploaded by the Educator. However, unofficial documents can be uploaded by the Educator. To upload unofficial documents to DEEDS, use the following steps:

    1. Log into your DEEDS Educator Dashboard.
    2. Click the "View/Update My File" button located in the upper right-hand section of the screen.
    3. Select the green "Documents" data tab located at the top of the screen.
    4. Enter a file descriptor term in the "File Description" entry field. This should be something that easily identifies the document for future reference, such as "Program Completion Letter".
    5. Click the down arrow of the "Document Type" dropdown list and select the document type that matches the type of document that you are uploading. If you cannot find a match, then select "Other Documents - Other" as the document type.
    6. Click inside the "Document" area (delimited with dotted lines) where the text "Drop file here to upload or click here to browse and select files(s) to upload" appears. Navigate to the location of the desired document and click the "Open" button.
    7. Click the "Click here to complete Upload" button, which is only enabled after the "Document Type" and "Document" have been specified.
    8. The new document is uploaded to your DEEDS file and appears in the Document table at the bottom of the window.

    For a more detailed description and associated screenshots of the document upload process, refer to the Educator Dashboard User Guide, Section: What Can I Do Today / Edit My File / Documents. 

    Do I need to submit college transcripts to Licensure & Certification?
    Yes. You need to submit official sealed transcripts to us, as you are not able to upload them to DEEDS yourself. If you are employed, the school/district can upload the transcripts for you.

    Where do I send my documentation?
    After completing the online application process, you must provide official documentation of all transcripts, certificates, and experience listed in the application.

    The Department prefers official documents be submitted directly by the issuing agency electronically to deeds@doe.k12.de.us.

    If you are having documents sent by USPS, use:

    Delaware Department of Education
    Licensure & Certification
    Collette Education Resource Center
    35 Commerce Way, Suite 1
    Dover, DE 19904

    What is SARA?
    SARA stands for State Authorization Reciprocity Agreement. SARA is a nationwide collaboration of states intended to make distance education courses more accessible to students across state lines while also helping states and institutions in regulating interstate distance education. SARA expands students access to quality distance education, assists with complaint resolution, and reduces institutional costs.

    If you are seeking distance education for graduate coursework from an online school, please make sure they are part of SARA. To learn more about SARA, please visit the Delaware Department of Education's SARA Page.

    Top of Page


    What if I am charged the $100.00 fee twice for my License?
    Please contact the licensure and certification office with proof of payments. If applicable, a refund will be issued.

    Who is exempt from paying the $100.00 fee?
    Educators who apply for Permits do not pay the $100 fee.

    Do I need to pay $100.00 for each Certificate?
    No. There is a one-time $100.00 fee that is non-refundable for the license only.

    Do I need to pay a fee to renew my license?
    No. The one-time $100.00 fee is for the first license application only.

    Top of Page


    I can't log in to my account. Can you send me my username and password?
    All access to DEEDS is via EdAccess, the single sign-on application used by the Delaware Department of Education. To have your password reset, please use the "Help, I forgot my password" link below the "Sign In" button in the center of the EdAccess login page

    Who will verify my clock hours if I am currently unemployed?
    Once you are unemployed the licensure and certification office will verify your clock hours.

    Do I need to submit a background clearance document to the Licensure & Certification department?
    No. We do not require clearances; the school/district will request them.

    How do I get a copy of my License?
    If your license is still valid, you can access your DEEDS account and click the "Print My Credentials" button on the Educator Dashboard. Once your license has expired, you will not be able to print the document.

    What should I do if I am offered a job before I receive my license?
    You must be ELIGIBLE to be licensed/certified. Please work with the HR department of the hiring entity that is offering you the job if this occurs.

    How do I request a name change?
    If you are employed, please contact your Human Resource department to change the information in PHRST; PHRST is the State’s payroll system. If you are unemployed, sign in to your DEEDS profile, click "Update" to the right of your name and complete the information changes.

    Top of Page

    How-To Directions

    How do I obtain a copy of my credentials?
    Educators may print their active license with certificates at any time by following these steps:

    1. Log in to DEEDs via the EdAcess login page.
    2. On the right side of the screen, click the “Print My Credentials” button.

    Note: Educators will not be able to print expired or revoked credentials.

    Top of Page


    Where can I find the Delaware Regulations?
    The State of Delaware Title 14 Education Regulations pertaining to Licensure & Certification fall into two main categories: 

    Top of Page


    How do I get reimbursement for a Teaching License Application Fee?
    Upon application in DEEDS for a Delaware teaching license and certificate, the applicant will be charged a $100, one-time, application fee. Upon employment in a Delaware public school district or charter school, educators may be eligible for reimbursement of that $100 fee. For a comprehensive explanation of the fee reimbursement, refer to the Fee Reimbursement page: Teaching License Application Fee Reimbursement section.

    How do I get reimbursement for a Performance Assessment Fee?
    An applicant who applies for a Delaware teaching license and certificate becomes employed in a Delaware public school district or charter school and meets the performance assessment requirement towards a Delaware teaching license may be eligible for reimbursement. For a comprehensive explanation of the fee reimbursement, refer to the Fee Reimbursement page: Performance Assessment Fee Reimbursement section

    How do I get reimbursement for a Critical Needs Scholarship?
    Educators who are full-time employees of a Delaware public or charter school who teach on a valid Emergency Certificate in a critical need area as defined by the Delaware Department of Education may be eligible for all or part of tuition and registration fees paid for up to three credits/term (fall and spring) of coursework that will enable them to meet Standard Certification requirements.

    Reimbursement applications are processed by the Delaware public or charter school and is subject to available funding. Educators should discuss this option with their Human Resource Office representative. Detailed information regarding this scholarship program, including eligibility requirements and submission deadlines, is found on the Delaware Higher Education Office (DHEO) Critical Need Scholarship webpage.

    What do I do if I don't have a copy of my license or certificate for the Critical Needs Scholarship Reimbursement?
    If you need to submit a copy of your license or certificate, see "How do I obtain a copy of my credentials?". If you don't see an Emergency Certificate or valid Certificate for reimbursement, contact the Licensure & Certification Department

    Top of Page

    Testing Requirements

    When should I take the required tests?
    All required tests must be taken and passed before a Standard Certificate can be issued. Timing of completion of the Performance Assessment should be discussed with your HR Department.

    How should I send my test scores to the Delaware Department of Education?
    Please specify the Delaware Department of Education as the score recipient when you register for your tests. Our Reporting Code for Educational Testing Services (ETS) is 7065.

    Praxis Core Testing

    Is Praxis I Testing still required?
    No. Governor Carney signed House Substitute 1 to House Bill 143 as amended by House Amendment 1 into law on June 20, 2017. This law modified Title 14 and eliminated the requirement of Praxis Core (Praxis I) for Licensure. House Bill 143 changed educator licensure requirements and a general knowledge assessment (Praxis I/Praxis Core) is no longer required for licensure.

    I was waiting to pass the Praxis Core to earn my license, now what?
    The general knowledge requirement or Praxis Core is no longer required for licensure in the state of Delaware. You no longer need to take and pass the Praxis Core to earn a license.

    • This includes current educators who were working towards this requirement and are already employed – Skilled and Technical Science Teachers, Nurses, etc.
    • This change also applies to all pending applications.
Last Modified on July 19, 2022