• General Private School Information

    If your child(ren) withdraws from a Delaware public school to enroll in a Delaware private school, that private school must be in an “open status”, and your child(ren) enrolled in that private school before your child(ren) is/are withdrawn from a Delaware public school. The DDOE must be made aware of their enrollment in the private school or the student will be considered truant in their previous school.

    The DDOE recommends that students and parents/guardians research the private school prior to enrolling their students. They may want to look into accreditation, curriculum, grading and promotion policies, document retention policies, etc.

    Academic Information

    The DDOE does not maintain or retain any academic records for private school students. This includes, but is not limited to:

    • Curriculum
    • Report cards and promotion
    • Diplomas
    • State Assessments

    The DDOE encourages private schools to maintain and retain a portfolio and records for their student(s). This portfolio may be needed by the student’s next step (i.e. college admissions, career readiness, etc.) or for a special circumstance (i.e. re-entry to a Delaware public school). The DDOE recommends that parents ensure they receive a copy of all such records and retain them for their student(s) as a student may find they need this information years down the road.

    Please note, if a student returns to public school in Delaware, it is the public school’s decision which grade level a student is placed when re-enrolled in a public school.


    The DDOE does not provide or recommend the curriculum of any private school.

    Private schools are responsible for the courses, course work, materials and supplies needed.

    Report Cards and Promotion to the Next Grade:

    The DDOE does not issue report cards for any private school. Nor does the DDOE determine whether a student is qualified for promotion to the next grade level.

    Report cards will come from the private school. It is up to the private school to determine promotion criteria and promotion is reported with the required annual enrollment submission, no later than October 5.


    The DDOE does not issue diplomas for any private school or validate any type of credential provided by those schools. The DDOE does not retain copies of any diplomas for private school students.

    The diploma will be issued by, and come from the private school.

    Students and parents/guardians may wish to contact a college, university, training program, licensing entities, or employer to determine if they will accept the diploma from the private school under consideration.

    Students and parents/guardians must investigate the school themselves and ask if they are accredited.

    State Assessments:

    The DDOE does not administer or provide state assessments to private school students.

    The private school may provide annual testing for their enrolled students. If the private school does not provide testing, there are private options available if you wish to pursue annual testing for you child(ren). Private school students are eligible for these private options to take the PSAT, SAT, ACT, and AP exams. The DDOE cannot recommend any specific private option. 

    Participation in Public School Sports

    Delaware Interscholastic Athletic Association (DIAA) regulations 1008 and 1009 require that in order for a student to represent a school in interscholastic athletics they must be enrolled at that school as a full-time student and the school must be a member school of the DIAA.

    Participation in Driver Education

    A student enrolled in a Delaware private school and who is a resident of Delaware is entitled to one free driver education course through an adult education program pursuant to DDOE Regulation 540. Adult education programs in a district offering driver education and driver education classes at the YMCA in Dover are approved programs by the DDOE.

    Please note, the course is offered for free but there is a registration fee that varies depending on your selected location.

    Students who are not successful in their initial driver education course may register in any of the adult driver education programs for a fee.

    The parent shall bring the following documents to the district, YMCA, or adult education program for enrollment in the driver education course.

    • The acknowledgement page showing the student’s enrollment in the nonpublic school. For a copy of the acknowledgement page, log in to the DDOE’s EdAccess System and click on the Nonpublic Schools icon. When the nonpublic school’s homepage displays, click the “Print Acknowledgement” link.
    • A copy of the student’s recent report card/grades for verification of eligibility for free driver education and to prove academic eligibility for a Graduated Driver’s License (GDL) pursuant to 14 C. § 4125.
      For more information on Driver Education, please visit the Driver Education page.

    Social Security Forms

    The DDOE will not sign a social security form for any homeschool.

    The private school administrator is the school official and would sign this document. The DDOE will not sign this document.


    Email: nps@doe.k12.de.us or Call: 302-241-2820.

Last Modified on August 16, 2020