Comprehensive Induction Program
Steps for Initial Phase - New Teachers
During the first few weeks of school your Mentor will be helping you to become familiar with your school/district/state educational procedures, policies, and requirements. He/she will help you assure that you have completed the registration process and licensure application on DEEDS and submitted all documents as required and/or requested by the certification office so that your Initial or Provisional License can be issued and activated as soon as possible.
During this time, your Mentor may assist you with the following:
- Becoming familiar with school, district, and state policies and procedures
- Securing materials such as supplies, curricular guides, and other resource materials
- Confirming that you have the appropriate technology, books, and professional materials
- Discussing specific guidelines, responsibilities, and events that are unique to your building
- Identifying locations in the school that you will need to know - library, cafeteria, playground, etc.
- Assuring that you understand the emergency policies and procedures
- Other needs as identified by you or the site
Your Mentor will also introduce you to other staff members and assist you with securing the resources that you may need to set up your classes and be effective in your new position. You may use the "School and District Resource Record" to insure that pertinent information is easily accessible for use throughout your first school year.