Bullying Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do students or parents report bullying?
Delaware law requires that districts and charter schools have a procedure in place for students and parents/guardians to report bullying to school officials. The procedure is to be outlined in the district or charter bullying prevention policy. When reporting bullying, keep in mind the following:
1. Follow the district or charter school procedure outlined in the policy.
2. Submit your report in writing and save a copy for yourself.
3. Provide details in the report including dates, times, locations, alleged offender(s), and witnesses. If possible, include any evidence beyond just the alleged victim's side of the story.
4. Include how the alleged bullying is related to and is supported by the state definition of bullying.
5. State how you believe the alleged bullying is affecting student as it relates to the school environment.
6. State what you expect as a reasonable timeline for a response from the school.
7. Maintain a positive tone to the report.
How is bullying reported to the DDOE by schools?
For schools, bullying is reported using eSchool Plus. To report a bullying incident, refer to the Bullying Reporting Instructions document. There is also a Bullying Reason Definitions and Guidance document that is helpful in assisting with entering the incident in the eSchools Plus system. Entering a reason for the bullying is required by state law.
Is there any required training related to bullying?
Delaware law and DDOE regulation require several trainings for school personnel which relate to school climate & discipline programming. According to Delaware Code, three hours of Bully Prevention and Gang Identification Training is required every three years for all school employees.
Delaware Department of Justice Contact Information:
For additional information and help regarding school crime reporting and bullying prevention.
School Crime & Bullying Contact (Ombudsperson)
Delaware Department of Education Contact Information:
Brian N. Moore, MBA
School Climate & Discipline Program Manager
35 Commerce Way, Suite 1
Dover, DE 19904
Phone: (302) 857-3358
Email: Brian Moore