Parents/Students Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • What are the requirements for me to obtain a driver's license?

    Any individual under the age of eighteen must successfully complete a Delaware Department of Education driver education course.  An approved driver education course must consist of thirty (30) hours of classroom instruction, seven (7) hours of in-car behind-the-wheel instruction and seven (7) hours of in-car observation.  Teachers are certified by the Department of Education.

    Comments (-1)
  • How may I enroll in Driver Education?

    All public and most non-public high schools offer driver education for free to the 10th grade class in accordance with Delaware Code.  Home schooled individuals and students attending small religious academies may enroll in summer and evening driver education courses.  Proof of academic eligibility is required in order to obtain your Blue Certificate. 

    Comments (-1)
  • What is a Blue Certificate?

    Each student who successfully completes the forty-four (44) hour driver education course will receive a "High School Driver Education Certificate" commonly referred to as the Blue Certificate.

    Comments (-1)
  • Will I be tested at the Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV)?

    No, the Division of Motor Vehicles will accept the Blue Certificate in lieu of the written and road skills test for a period of six (6) months from the date of issue.  After the six months has expired, the certificate holder will be tested at DMV.

    Comments (-1)
  • What is The Graduated Driver License Law?

    Novice drivers will enter the GDL after successfully completing driver education and upon reaching the age of sixteen.  In the first six months, novice drivers must be supervised by a licensed parent or other approved adult sponsor at all times while driving a motor vehicle.  During the second six months, the novice driver may drive from 6:00 a.m. - 10:00 p.m. without adult supervision.  After 10:00 p.m. to 6:00 a.m., adult supervision is required.  Following a successful twelve (12) months of supervised driving experience, an unrestricted Class D license is granted.  

    Comments (-1)
  • I just moved to Delaware from another state, already have my license, and am under the age of 18.  How do I transfer my license to Delaware?

    • A license from another state does not automatically transfer to a license in Delaware.  Driving is a "privilege" offered by each state in our country.  The laws regarding how a teenager gets a license can differ in each state.  If you are under the age of 18, on a permit or provisional license from another state, you must have your license transferred to Delaware within 60 days.  Once your license is transferred, you must then follow the state of Delaware's Graduated Driver's License Program.
    • Complete the Transfer Request Form: Out-of-State Driver Education form and provide all the documentation requested.  If there is a document that you do not have, explain why in the comments section on the form.   
    Comments (-1)
  • I just moved to Delaware from another state.  I am under the age of 18 and would like to get my driver's license.  What should I do?

    • Contact the high school you attend and see if you qualify to take the Driver Education Course offered at your school.
    • If your school is unable to enroll you in the Driver Education course, contact one of the Alternate Student Driver Education Programs located near you.
    • Not all high school transfers from out of state qualify for free driver education.  If you are a transfer student and you want to know if you qualify for free driver education, please contact our office using the Contact Information below.
    Comments (-1)
  • Will I be tested at DMV if I relocate into Delaware?

    Yes, all individuals under the age of eighteen will be given a written and road skills test at the DMV.

    Comments (-1)
  • What must I bring to the DMV for a driver's license?

    To obtain a driver's license there is DMV required documentation, including all of the following:

    1. Social Security Card
    2. One parent/sponsor
    3. Birth Certificate
    4. Verification of residency
    5. Blue Certificate or DOE approval letter
    6. $40.00
    Comments (-1)
  • What does Academic Eligibility mean?

    Each individual successfully completing driver education must have earned passing grades in 5 credits at the time of certification, with at least 2 of these credits in separate areas of English, Mathematics, Science, or Social Studies, in order to receive his/her Blue Certificate.  This includes out-of-state students or individuals relocating into Delaware under the age of eighteen.  Are you Academically Eligible?  Contact your high school driver education teacher, high school counselor, or principal to verify your status.

    Comments (-1)
  • What if I drop out of high school prior to graduation?

    In Delaware he/she will not be eligible for a driver's license until the age of eighteen.

    Comments (-1)
  • How much does driver education cost if I choose not to take it at my school?

    The base fee charged by most Alternate Student Driver Education Programs is $578. 

    Comments (-1)
  • Contact Information:

    Michael Wagner, Education Associate

    Delaware Department of Education
    35 Commerce Way, Suite 1, Dover, DE 19904
    Phone: 302.857.3320  Fax: 302.739.1769

    For questions regarding your driver's license contact:
    The Division of Motor Vehicles
    Phone: 302.744.2561

Last Modified on January 24, 2023