United States Senate Youth Program
Welcome to Delaware's dedicated webpage for the United States Senate Youth Program!
The United States Senate Youth Program (USSYP), established in 1962 by U.S. Senate Resolution, is a unique educational experience for outstanding high school students. Each year, two student leaders from each state, the District of Columbia and the Department of Defense Education Activity spend a week in Washington, D.C., experiencing their national government in action. Student delegates hear major policy addresses by senators, cabinet members, officials from the Departments of State and Defense and directors of other federal agencies. Delegates also participate in a meeting with a justice of the U.S. Supreme Court. In addition, each delegate will be awarded a $10,000 college scholarship.
Due to the coronavirus pandemic, the 2021 program will be fully online. The United States Senate Youth Program (USSYP) Washington Week will be held online March 14 - 18, 2021.
For more information, visit USSYP Brochure & Press Release
Selection Process in Delaware
Each Delaware high school may nominate one student to apply for the USSYP.
The application is now available! Click Here
Applications are due November 20, 2020.
Interviews are tentatively scheduled to take place in January 2021.
How to Qualify
Qualified junior or senior high school students must show demonstrated leadership through public service in elected or appointed positions in organizations that relate to government, public affairs, history, and/or community service. To quality, students must meet the following criteria:
- Students may qualify to apply through leadership positions they currently hold per the USSYP official criteria for the current 2020-2021 academic year. If students are unable to hold leadership positions this year due to the pandemic, they can submit the position they held during the 2019-2020 academic year. All student leadership qualifying positions are subject to the judgement of the state selection administrator and will be verified
- Will be attending high school in your state in the U.S. through graduation Spring 2021
- Interested in and participating in leadership, public service and government related activities
- Must be able to attend the entire 2021 Washington Week ONLINE program, March 14-18, 2021
- Provide 2 signed letters of recommendation. Letters must be from a school administrator or guidance counselor and a social studies teacher.
- Provide a copy of school transcript
RESIDENCY – Each student must be a permanent resident of the United States and currently enrolled in a public or private secondary school located in the state in which at least one of their parents or guardians currently resides.
- Exceptions to the residency requirement will only be made in the following cases (in Delaware, this only applies to the Delmar School District): Students may reside in a state other than the state in which they attend school if they are enrolled in the only designated public high school available to them in a school district that legally crosses contiguous state borders through legal interstate agreement. Students in these schools shall make application to the program through the state where the high school is located and shall represent that state if selected.
For questions on USSYP in Delaware, contact Preston Shockley at firstname.lastname@example.org