Sussex Correctional Institution (SCI)
Sussex Correctional Institution (SCI) Education serves as many as 500 enrolled adult male students annually in multiple academic and vocational areas. The program is supported by 22 inmate tutors who work with teachers to provide tutoring to students in the classrooms and perform recordkeeping/office tasks that support instructional efforts. The Youthful Criminal Offenders Program (YCOP) is a housing unit/program that accommodates a juvenile male population between ages 16-18. This housing unit is segregated from the adult male population at SCI. Education is mandatory for juveniles without a high school diploma. Offenders attend classes five days a week.
Academic offerings include:
- Adult Basic Education, ESL, and GED®
- James H. Groves High School Diploma
- Special Education Services
Vocational offerings include:
- Life Skills: Coursework covering a plethora of transitional skills including, but not limited to Moral Reconation Therapy, Interpersonal Skills, Anger & Stress Management, Financial Management and Employment skills.
- Computers: Computer labs are available for offenders to learn a wide range of computer literacy skills. Students are able to attain completion certificates in Keyboarding, Windows OS, MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and MS Publisher
- Masonry: Courses are provided through industry recommended curriculum including hands-on and classroom learning activities. Successful completion of these courses leads to National Center for Construction Education Research (NCCER) certification.
Kristi King, Teacher/Supervisor
Sussex Correctional Institution
23203 S. DuPont Highway
P.O. Box 500
Georgetown, DE 19947
Phone: (302) 856-5603/(302) 856-5280 ext. 5363
Fax: (302) 856-5642