James T. Vaughn Correctional Center
James T. Vaughn Correctional Center provides quality education services to incarcerated men housed from minimum to maximum security levels. Education services are provided to over 1000 students per year in academic and vocational programming. The program also utilizes the skills of inmate Instructional Aides who assist teachers in the classroom, tutor students, and help with record keeping and other office duties. Prison Education staff work closely with the Department of Correction and JTVCC Security and Treatment staff to offer as many educational and training programs as possible.
Academic offerings include:
- Adult Basic Education, ESL, and GED®
- James H. Groves High School Diploma
- Special Education Services
Vocational offerings include:
- Life Skills: Coursework covering a plethora of transitional skills including, but not limited to Moral Reconation Therapy, Interpersonal Skills, Anger & Stress Management, Financial Management and Employment skills.
- Computers: Computer labs are available for offenders to learn a wide range of computer literacy skills. Students are able to attain completion certificates in Keyboarding, Windows OS, MS Excel, MS Word, MS PowerPoint, and MS Publisher
- HVAC and Plumbing: Courses are provided through industry recommended curriculum including hands-on and classroom learning activities. Successful completion of these courses leads to National Center for Construction Education Research (NCCER) certification.
- Automotive Technology: This course provides instruction in maintenance and repair including: detailing, general maintenance, engine repair, automatic transmission/transaxle; suspension and steering; brakes; electrical/electronic systems; heating and air conditioning; and engine performance. All instruction focuses on the content needed to receive Automotive Service Excellence (ASE) certification.