Howard R. Young Correctional Institution (HRYCI)
Howard R. Young Correctional Institution (HRYCI) enrolls 450 offenders annually in educational programming to provide quality education services to male offenders. In addition to classes being held in the immediate Education area, HRYCI has a unique education operation in that classes are also held in the housing unit specifically designed for academic instruction and achievement. There is also a 24 hr., 365 day continuous Life Skills program which is offered on the housing unit of the individuals participating. The education program at HRYCI is designed to utilize inmate tutors to assist with the education process.
Academic offerings include:
- Adult Basic Education, ESL, and GED®
- James H. Groves High School Diploma
- Special Education Services
- University of Delaware’s - Inside/Outside Program
Vocational offerings include:
- Life Skills: Coursework covering a plethora of transitional skills including, but not limited to Moral Reconation Therapy, Interpersonal Skills, Anger & Stress Management, Financial Management and Employment skills.
- C-Tech Network Wiring: Provides students with a theoretical and hands-on knowledge of Fiber Optics and skills needed to become certified entry-level technicians in the Network Cabling industry.
- Computers: Students earn completion certificates in MS Word and MS Excel.
- ServSafe Certification: This training offers best food handling practices to promote safety and prevent foodborne illnesses.
- Flagger Certification: This short training course enables offenders to become certified as a flagger for traffic/construction employment.