Delaware Immunization Regulation
Delaware law requires all students entering a school system to provide proof of immunizations. The Delaware Department of Education collaborates with the Delaware Division of Public Health to establish mandatory immunization requirements based on guidelines from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Private school students have comparable requirements based on the Delaware Division of Public Health Regulation 4204.
Delaware required immunizations:
- 5 or more doses of DTaP or DTP Td vaccine (unless 4th does was given after the 4th birthday)
- 4 doses of IPV or OPV (unless 3rd dose was given after the 4th birthday)
- 3 doses of Hepatitis B vaccine
- 2 doses of Measles, Mumps and Rubella vaccine
- 2 doses of Varicella or a written disease history by a licensed healthcare provider
- In August 2016, entering 9th Graders must additionally have 1 dose Tdap (adult booster) and 1 dose meningococcal
- In 8/2017 - Grades 9-10
- In 8/2018 - Grades 9-11
- In 8/2019 - Grades 9-12
Delaware allows two exemptions to immunizations:
- Medical Exemptions
Medical exemptions to any of the required immunizations must be requested in writing from the healthcare provider for situations related to: lost records, alternate catch-up schedules, Measles/Mumps/Rubella second dose given prior to the fourth birthday, history of Varicella (chicken pox) immunity and delayed schedules for children who are immunocompromised.
All other exemptions must be approved by the Delaware Division of Public Health using the Supplemental School Vaccination Exemption Form signed by a licensed physician, nurse practitioner or advanced practice nurse. Most contraindications are temporary and the vaccine can be given at a later time.
- Religious Exemptions
Religious exemptions must be submitted on the Delaware Affidavit of Religious Belief and must be notarized.
Contact Information:School Health Services Program OfficeDelaware Department of Education35 Commerce Way, Suite 1Dover, DE 19901Phone: 302-857-3356Fax: 302-739-1769Email: email@example.com