Student Leadership and Awards
DIAA Student Leadership Conference Application
DIAA hosts a Student Leadership Conference each year for students who meet the criteria:
- must be a varsity letter winner
- must be a rising 10th, 11th or 12th grader
- must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5 with no failing grades since first entering 9th grade
- must be a team captain or captain-elect, or hold a recognized leadership position in the school (a student government officer or representative, a class officer, a club officer, or an editor)
Interested students should consult with their Athletic Director. The Student Leadership Conference application must be submitted by the second Friday in April.
The 2018 conference will be held at the Virden Retreat Center in Lewes from August 3-5. DIAA will cover the cost of the registration fee, all meals, and two nights lodging for the attendees. Attendance is limited to 40 student delegates. One student delegate is selected from each of the previous year's high school recipients of the DIAA Sportsmanship Award. A committee then selects the at large delegates to fill the capacity.
DIAA Senior Scholar-Athlete Awards
DIAA awards scholarships in memory of Dr. Harry Roberts to student-athletes based on academic, athletic and leadership achievements. The criteria for the award include:
- must be a 12th grade student enrolled in a DIAA member school
- must have earned at least two varsity letters in each of two different sports regulated by DIAA
- must have a cumulative GPA of at least 3.5
- must submit evidence of demonstrated leadership in school-sponsored or community activities
A member school may submit only one male and female nominee. Please consult with Athletic Director before submitting an application. Scholar-Athlete Applications must be submitted by the third Friday in April.
Congratulations to the 2017 Harry Roberts Scholarship winners.
First: TyAnna Handy (Laurel) and Chris Ludman (St. Mark's)
Second: Kendall Adkins (CSW) and Ryan Friedman (Sanford)
Third: Margaret Ford (Indian River) and Andrew Evan (Sussex Central)