Board of Directors Regulations
- Board of Directors
- Selection of the Board of Directors
- Term of Office and Board of Directors
- Officers of Board of Directors
- Actions of the Members of the Board of Directors
- Quorum and Voting of the Board of Directors
- Executive Director
- The affairs of DIAA shall be administered by a Board of Directors comprised of the following:
- Two (2) school district superintendents/assistant superintendents who shall be residents of different counties.
- Two (2) representatives of school district boards of education who shall be residents of different counties.
- Three (3) public school principals/assistant principals, one (1) of which shall be from each county.
- Two (2) public school athletic directors/coaches who shall be residents of different counties.
- Two (2) nonpublic school representatives of which one (1) shall be a secondary school administrator and one (1) shall either be a secondary school athletic director or coach.
- One (1) Department of Education representative, which may be the Secretary of Education or his/her designee, who shall be the nonvoting member.
- Six (6) public members of which two (2) shall be from each county. The public members shall be residents of Delaware for a minimum of 3 years, shall be knowledgeable about athletics, but shall not be employees of any member school or have a material financial interest in providing goods or services to the Association or any member school.
- No school district or nonpublic school shall have more than one (1) member on the Board.
- Voting Board members shall be appointed by the Governor, with the advice and consent of the Senate. The Governor shall take into consideration geographic representation, knowledge of athletics in general and an interest in high school athletics in deciding whether or not to appoint a nominee.
Term of Office and Board of Directors
- All members of the Board, with the exception of the Secretary of Education or his/her designee, who shall be a permanent member, shall be appointed for a three (3) year term. The terms of the members of the Board shall be staggered so that the terms of no more than 6 members shall expire in any given year.
- Every person who is a member of the Board of Directors of the Delaware Secondary School Athletic Association shall continue to serve on the new DIAA Board until the scheduled expiration of that person’s term unless replaced by the Governor before the scheduled expiration of his or her term. Any vacancy occurring in the membership of the former Board shall be filled in accordance with 14 Del. C. Chapter 3.
- A member of the Board shall serve until his or her successor is appointed. A member appointed to fill a vacancy shall serve for the remainder of the term of the member who he or she replaces.
- A person who has never served on the Board may be reappointed to the Board 2 consecutive times, but no such person shall thereafter be eligible for 2 consecutive appointments. No person who has been twice appointed to the Board, or who has served on the Board for 6 years within any 9 year period, shall be again appointed to the Board until an interim period of at least 1 term has expired since such person last served.
- A member who fails to attend 3 consecutive meetings, unless excused for good cause by a majority of the members of the Board, or fails to attend at least half of all regular business meetings of the Board during any calendar year or who ceases to be a resident of the county in which such member resided when appointed by the Board shall automatically upon such occurrence be deemed to have resigned from office and a replacement shall be appointed.
Officers of Board of Directors
- The Board shall elect annually from its members a Chairperson, Vice Chairperson and such other officers as it may deem necessary.
- In the event of a vacancy in 1 of the offices, a replacement shall be elected at the next Board meeting or a meeting called for that purpose.
Actions of the Members of the Board of Directors
- Any member of the Board of Directors who may be directly affected or whose school or school district may be affected by a potential decision related to an appeal or waiver request shall recuse himself or herself from consideration of the matter and shall not vote on that appeal or waiver request.
- The Chairperson of the Board is responsible for maintaining the integrity of the decision making process.
Quorum and Voting of the Board of Directors
- A majority of the members of the Board shall constitute a quorum. No motion, resolution or other act of the Association may be adopted without agreement of the majority of the whole Board.
- The Executive Director shall be hired by the Association and shall work in collaboration with the Department of Education. He/She shall be an employee of the Department of Education.