Delaware Teacher of the Year - Nomination Process
The Department of Education shall meet annually with the district coordinators of the Teacher of the Year Program and the representative for the charter schools for the purpose of providing them with detailed instructions and proper forms for the presentation of nominees. Each district is invited to nominate one teacher employed by the district and the charter schools are invited to select one nominee to represent all of the charter schools.
Nominees shall be skillful and dedicated teachers, pre-kindergarten through grade 12. Administrative personnel such as principals and guidance counselors are not eligible to be considered for State Teacher of the Year. Nominees for State Teacher of the Year who are not actively engaged in teaching in a public school at the time at which observations are made shall be disqualified.
The candidate should:
Nominees shall submit a portfolio describing themselves and setting forth their positions on education issues. Format will be based on the National Teacher of the Year program.Please submit these as nominating materials:
- be an exceptionally dedicated, knowledgeable, and skilled teacher;
- inspire students of all backgrounds and abilities to learn;
- have the respect and admiration of students, parents, and colleagues;
- play an active and useful role in the community as well as in the school; and
- be poised, articulate, and possess the energy to withstand a taxing schedule.
- Complete application. This application follows the sequence and form used by the National Teacher of the Year Program. Please follow the guidelines about length and font size. The application can be downloaded, completed, then printed.
Application Form [PDF] [Word]
- Program Guide
- Ten letters of support from colleagues, parents, administrators, students, or other persons.
- A color 5x7 photograph of the nominee showing full-face head and shoulders.
- Diskette of the written narratives—preferably in Microsoft Word—labeled with the nominee’s name and school.
- Prepare a 5-minute presentation: As the 2017 National Teacher of the Year, you would serve as a spokesperson and representative for the entire teaching profession. What would you communicate to your profession and to the general public?
- The purpose of the video is to establish the speaker’s ability to express his/her ideas with conviction and poise. No point value is assigned to the video.
- Each candidate will be scheduled to come to the Department of Education for the video taping of the 5-minutepresentation before the beginning of the school year; tentatively scheduled for the second week of August.
Last Modified on May 22, 2017