During its first two year, the Delaware P-20 Council has focused its efforts on the transition between three otherwise disconnected levels of public education:
- Pre-school to Middle School
- Middle School to High School
- High School to College or a Working Environment
Smooth transitions between these levels will make the schools more efficient and effective while raising the level of student achievement.
The P-20 Council is also working toward closing the achievement gap between majority and minority students.
The keys to achieving the goals of the P-20 Council include:
- A challenging curriculum taking into account expectations at the next level.
- Increased teacher recruitment, education, and professional development, especially in critical needs areas.
- An advisement or support system to help identify student problems early and prepare them for success across all levels of education.