Critical Need Scholarship
4:30 p.m. Friday, January 5, 2018, for fall 2017 semester
4:30 p.m. Friday, June 8, 2018, for spring 2018 semesterEligibility Requirements:
- Applicants must be full-time employees of a Delaware public or charter school who teach on a valid Emergency Certificate in a critical need area as defined by the Delaware Department of Education.
- Districts and charter schools will reimburse teachers for all or part of tuition and registration fees paid for up to three credits/term (fall and spring) of coursework that will enable them to achieve Standard Certification, within program funding limitations.
- Recipients must complete course with a 2.0 GPA or higher on 4.0 scale ("C" or higher).
- Delaware residency is not required.
- Recipients can attend any regionally accredited college.
Teacher Shortage Areas in 2017-2018:
- Foreign Language
- Mathematics (all levels)
- Occupational Therapy
- Science (Secondary)
- Special Education
- Speech Pathologists
Reimbursement is made for up to the cost of three credits per term (fall and spring). The maximum reimbursement per term for the 2017-18 academic year is:
- $1,485 for undergraduate coursework
- $5,310 for graduate coursework
- $30 for the registration fee (if any)
Teachers must apply through the school district or charter school where they are employed. School districts and charter schools must submit a Critical Need Reimbursement Request with required documentation for each applicant. See District and Charter School Responsibilities for instructions.
Delaware Proposed Teacher Shortage Areas Acceptance LetterTo review the Department of Education's letter stating the acceptance of the proposed Teacher Shortage areas for 2017 please review the following link:
Last Modified on August 1, 2017