Critical Need Reimbursement Program
The application for coursework taken during fall and winter 2022-2023 opens on February 1, 2023 with a deadline date of 4:30 PM, February 15, 2023. The link to the online application can be found below. If you are submitting an application for more than one course taken during the fall or winter term, you must submit a separate application for each course.
- Applicants must be full-time employees of a Delaware public or charter school who teach on a valid Emergency Certificate or a Certificate of Eligibility in a critical need area as defined by the Delaware Department of Education and are taking coursework to enable them to achieve Standard Certification.
- Applicants must hold an Emergency Certificate or a Certificate of Eligibility in a high need area during the time they took the coursework for which they are seeking reimbursement.
- Recipients must complete course with a 2.0 GPA or higher on 4.0 scale ("C" or higher).
- Recipients can attend any out-of-state regionally accredited college or university, or Alternative Routes to Teacher Licensure and Certification programs approved by the Delaware Secretary of Education and authorized to operate in Delaware.
- Applicants can submit for reimbursement for up to 1 of the following per academic year (summer, fall, winter, spring)
- 2 noncredit-bearing seminars or workshops required for certification
- 2 credit bearing courses, up to 6 credits in total
- 1 noncredit-bearing seminar or workshop required for certification and up to 1 three-credit course
Eligible applicants will be reimbursed for a maximum of 2 courses per year (summer, fall, winter, spring)
Teacher Shortage Areas in 2022-2023:
Subject Area Certifications Bilingual 1561 Bilingual Teacher English Language Learner 1562 Teacher of English Learners World Languages 1565 World Language Teacher Math 1532 Middle Level Mathematics Teacher
1542 Secondary Mathematics Teacher
Science 1533 Middle Level Science Teacher
1543 Secondary Science Teacher
Special Education (All Areas) 1570 Early Childhood Exceptional Children Special Education Teacher
1571 Special Education Teacher of Students with Disabilities
1573 Teacher of Students with Autism or with Severe Intellectual Disabilities
1574 Teacher of Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
1575 Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments
Business Education 1551 Business Education Teacher AgriScience Education 1550 AgriScience Teacher Family Consumer Science 1554 Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher School Nurse 1582 School Nurse Library Media Specialist 1580 School Library Media Specialist English 1531 Middle Level English Language Arts Teacher
1540 Secondary English Language Arts Teacher
Immersion (Elementary/World language)
1521 Elementary Teachers (only if seeking Immersion position with demonstrated language proficiency)
1557 Technology Education Teacher
DHEO will review the online applications to determine eligibility for the Critical Need Reimbursement program, all applicants will be notified of their award status via email.
Reimbursement will be sent directly to the institute of higher education where the educator took eligible coursework after verification of eligibility
For the 2022-2023 academic year the reimbursement amount will be pro-rated up to a maximum of $1,300 per eligible course
The summer 2022 application will open on September 1, 2022 and close at 4:30 PM on September 15, 2022:
Fall 2022 and Winter 2023 combined application will open on February 1, 2023 and close at 4:30 PM on February 15, 2023
Spring 2023 application will open on May 1, 2023 and close at 4:30 PM on May 15, 2023