Critical Need Reimbursement Program
The application for coursework taken during spring 2021 will open on June 21, 2021 with a deadline date of 4:30 PM Wednesday, July 21, 2021, the link to the online application can be found below once the application opens.
- Applicants must be full-time employees of a Delaware public or charter school who teach on a valid Emergency Certificate or a Certificate of Eligibility in a critical need area as defined by the Delaware Department of Education and are taking coursework to enable them to achieve Standard Certification.
- Recipients must complete course with a 2.0 GPA or higher on 4.0 scale ("C" or higher).
- Delaware residency is not required.
- Recipients can attend any regionally accredited college.
- Applicants can submit for reimbursement for only one course per term (fall and spring)
Teacher Shortage Areas in 2020-2021:
Subject Area Certifications Bilingual 1561 Bilingual Teacher English Language Learner 1562 Teacher of English Learners World Languages 1565 World Language Teacher Math 1532 Middle Level Mathematics Teacher
1542 Secondary Mathematics Teacher
Science 1533 Middle Level Science Teacher
1543 Secondary Science Teacher
Special Education (All Areas) 1570 Early Childhood Exceptional Children Special Education Teacher
1571 Special Education Teacher of Students with Disabilities
1573 Teacher of Students with Autism or with Severe Intellectual Disabilities
1574 Teacher of Students Who Are Deaf or Hard of Hearing
1575 Teacher of Students with Visual Impairments
Business Education 1551 Business Education Teacher AgriScience Education 1550 AgriScience Teacher Family Consumer Science 1554 Family and Consumer Sciences Teacher School Nurse 1582 School Nurse Library Media Specialist 1580 School Library Media Specialist English 1531 Middle Level English Language Arts Teacher
1540 Secondary English Language Arts Teacher
Immersion (Elementary/World language)
1521 Elementary Teachers (only if seeking Immersion position with demonstrated language proficiency)
1557 Technology Education Teacher
DHEO will review the online applications to determineand eligibility for the Critical Need Reimbursement program, all applicants will be notified of their award status via email.
Reimbursement is made for eligible teachers up to the cost of one 3 credit course per term (fall and spring) and one registration fee (maximum $30) within program funding limitations.
For the 2020-2021 academic year the reimbursement amount will be pro-rated to a maximum of $1,300 per eligible course
The spring 2021 application will open on June 21, 2021 and close at 4:30 PM Wednesday, July 21, 2021: