About the State Board of Education
The Delaware State Board of Education consists of nine members who are citizens of the State of Delaware. The Board is comprised of seven voting members and two non-voting members. Voting members are appointed by the Governor and confirmed by the State Senate. Members have residence in each of Delaware’s counties and the city of Wilmington, belong to different political parties, and bring a diverse set of skills and perspectives to the work. At least two members have previously served on a local board of education. Non-voting members are appointed annually by the Governor and include an 11th or 12th grade student currently enrolled in a public school and a former State Teacher of the Year.
The State Board of Education has a wide variety of roles and responsibilities, including:
- Advancing Education Policies and Systems
- Approving regulations governing 100+ topics, including approval of content standards, assessments, graduation requirements, educator evaluation, DIAA regulations, licensure and certification, and many others;
- Serving as the CTE Eligible Agency for the State Perkins Plan;
- Approving charter school authorizations—new, major modifications, renewals, and formal review.
- Providing Strategic Oversight and Advocacy
- Providing a breadth and viewpoint of a citizen’s board;
- Providing the Secretary of Education with advice in the development of policy, new initiatives, budget requests, etc.
- Resolving Disputes and Controversies
- Resolving disputes and controversies of the state education system, including school district boundaries, rules/regulations of local boards and suspensions/expulsions for disciplinary reasons.
A brief summary of the vision and mission of the Board of Education is also available.
The Board’s regular monthly meetings are open to the public and are usually scheduled for the third Thursday of the month, beginning at 5:00 p.m.
The Board’s Strategic Plan, including its strategic priorities.
- FY22 State Board of Education Annual Report
- FY21 State Board of Education Annual Report
- FY20 State Board of Education Annual Report
- FY19 State Board of Education Annual Report
You can reach the State Board of Education office by calling (302) 735-4010.
State Board of Education Members and Staff
All meeting agendas and materials can be found on the State Board of Education's eBoard page.
To be added to the State Board of Education's email list, please email Delaware.SBE@sbe.k12.de.us with the subject "SBE Mailing List".
Board Information and Procedures