Needs identified and addressed through Race to the Top: Secondary reading and math proficiency, achievement gaps for African American and special education students, more rigorous challenges for advanced students
Major initiatives and investments:
Accelerate achievement and improve outcomes for all students with:
- Rigorous standards, curriculum, and assessments.
- Sophisticated data systems and practices.
- Effective teachers and leaders.
- Deep support for the lowest achieving schools.
To achieve Race to the Top goals, the Smyrna School District is committed to:
- Ensuring curriculum aligns with National Common Core Standards in the core content areas and is implemented with fidelity.
- Successfully implementing research-based teaching strategies via our association with Learning Focused Solutions, including differentiated instruction and classroom level interventions for all students.
- Providing data-driven professional development including the use of technology to enhance teacher skills.
- Using DCAS data and other student achievement data to make informed judgments about student achievement and academic support.
- Implementing Professional Learning Communities (PLCs) to support student achievement with PLC managers in each school.
- Implementing Acceleration (previewing) courses for at-risk students in mathematics and English and providing Acceleration Specialists at the middle and high school to target students who need previewing support.
- Preparing students for successful participation in the PSAT, SAT, and ACT testing through the Kaplan Program and adding Advanced Placement and Kaplan SAT prep courses to promote higher levels of learning for all students.
- Expanding high school vocational program and developing STEM programs to meet the career readiness needs of students.
- Expanding the credit recovery program to support graduation goals for students.
- Expanding an Early Childhood Program aligned with National Early Childhood Standards.
- Transforming traditional summer school to a Summer Learning Academy using an Acceleration Model to enhance learning opportunities.
- Partnering with parents to provide resources and information to assist them with their children’s academic success.
- Transforming our hiring process to attract and retain highly effective educators.
- Using the State of Delaware teacher evaluation tool (DPAS II) to support teacher attainment of highly effective educator status.
Using district core values (respect, perseverance, integrity, compassion, and responsibility) as a guide to district support of student achievement.