Public school students across the state are invited to enter a poster and video contest to raise awareness about the upcoming National Assessment of Educational Progress. NAEP, also known as the Nation’s Report Card, will be administered this school year to students across the country in grades 4, 8 and 12. About 20,000 students in Delaware will take the 90-minute reading or math test between January 28 and March 8, 2013.
NAEP results are an important way in which the nation will judge how our children stack up against other states’ youth.
“This is a great opportunity for us to show the country how the hard work of our educators and students is preparing our children for success alongside their peers nationally,” Secretary of Education Mark Murphy said. “Not only will the nation have the chance to see the strengths of our public school system, but potential employers will have the chance to see the strengths of their future workforce in Delaware.”
To promote the importance of NAEP to Delaware’s schools, the Delaware Department of Education is sponsoring the ‘NAEP in Delaware’ poster and video contest. Students in NAEP 2013 participating schools as well as other schools may submit posters or short videos that highlight key messages about NAEP. Winning entries will be featured as a part of the department’s promotion of NAEP. The first-place prize is a $500 Apple gift card; the runner-up prize is a $250 Apple gift card. Separate first-place and runner-up prizes will be awarded to the top elementary, middle and high school entries (six prizes in all).
Contest entries should creatively and clearly communicate the answers to the following questions:
- What is NAEP?
- Why is it important?
- Why should students try their best on the test?
- On one sheet of paper (max. 24” x 30”), visually communicate the ‘NAEP in Delaware’ messages;
- Entries should include written text and student-created artwork;
- Judges will evaluate entries based upon creativity, appearance, and clarity of ‘NAEP in Delaware’ messages.
- A student-created video that communicates the ‘NAEP in Delaware’ messages
(5 minutes or less);
- Videos may include music, and footage must be filmed within the participating school.
- All students featured in the video must have written verification of parental consent to participate in the video for the entry to receive consideration;
- A brief, one-paragraph description should accompany each video;
- Judges will evaluate entries on creativity, video quality, and clarity of ‘NAEP in Delaware’ messages
A completed entry form, available here, must be submitted with all entries.
Upon their selection as contest winners, winning entries will become the property of the Delaware Department of Education; winning entrants agree to have all or part of their work shared through materials distributed by the Delaware Department of Education.
All submissions should be sent to the address below and must be postmarked by Friday, Dec. 21, 2012 for consideration. All winners will be announced the week of January 7, 2013.
NAEP State Coordinator
The Townsend Building
401 Federal Street, Suite 2
Dover, Delaware 19901-3639
Delaware Department of Education
401 Federal Street, Suite #2
Dover, Delaware 19901
Phone: (302) 735-4035
Fax: (302) 739-4654
Other Press Releases