The Delaware Interscholastic Athletic Association is pleased to announce the winners of the 2011 Harry Roberts/DIAA Senior Scholar Athlete Awards.
The three female recipients of the Awards are:
- 1st Place ($2.000) Grace Firestone, Tower Hill School
- 2nd Place ($1,500) Lindsey Olivere, Archmere Academy
- 3rd Place ($1,000) Molly Cain, Seaford High School
The three male recipients of the Awards are:
- 1st Place ($2.000) Ethan Lee, Seaford High School
- 2nd Place ($1,500) Garrett Swenson, Lake Forest High School
- 3rd Place ($1,000) John Donnelly, Archmere Academy
The Roberts Awards are presented annually by the DIAA based on the following criteria:
- 12th grade students enrolled at a DIAA member school
- earned at least two varsity letters in each of two different sports regulated by DIAA during grades 9-12
- have a cumulative (grades 9-12) GPA of at least 3.5 on a 4.0 scale at the end of the third quarter or second trimester of their 12th grade year.
- submit a typed essay of not more than 500 words describing how participation in interscholastic athletics has enhanced his/her educational experience
- submit evidence of leadership position(s) in school-sponsored or community activities.
This is the 13th year the Awards have been presented. The Harry Roberts/DIAA Scholar Athlete Award is named in recognition and memory of Dr. Harry Roberts, former Superintendent of the Caesar Rodney School District who served DIAA on many committees, most notably as Chair of the DIAA Sportsmanship committee for many years. This year there were 34 total applicants, 21 female and 13 male.
Delaware Department of Education
401 Federal Street, Suite #2
Dover, Delaware 19901
Phone: (302) 735-4035
Fax: (302) 739-4654
Other Press Releases