(Dover, DE.) - The Presidential Award for Excellence in Mathematics and Science Teaching (PAEMST) is the highest recognition that a K-12 mathematics or science teacher may receive for outstanding teaching in the United States. Established by Congress in 1983, and administered for the White House by the National Science Foundation, the Presidential Awards allow for each state to select up to three mathematics teachers and three science teachers as state finalists.
The State finalists are:
- Linda Bledsoe, Cedar Lane Elementary School, Appoquinimink School District
- Laura Conner, Alfred G. Waters Middle School, Appoquinimink School District
- Michelle Cook, Phillis Wheatley Middle School, Woodbridge School District
- Kathleen Gormley, Highlands Elementary School, Red Clay Consolidated School District
- Judith McCord, Thurgood Marshall Elementary School, Christina School District
- Pamela Vanderwende, Phillis Wheatley Middle School, Woodbridge School District
Awards are given to mathematics and science teachers from each of the 50 states and four U.S. jurisdictions. The teachers are recognized for their contributions to teaching and learning and their ability to help students make progress in mathematics and science.
A national selection committee will review each state finalist’s application and select one awardee in each content area for every state. As part of the recognition process, awardees will take part in a weeklong series of networking and professional development activities in Washington, D.C., and will also receive $10,000 from the National Science Foundation. For more information about PAEMST, see forms and instructions available at: www.paemst.org.
In addition to honoring individual achievement, the goal of the award program is to exemplify the highest standards of mathematics and science teaching. Awardees serve as models for their colleagues, inspiration to their communities, and leaders in the improvement of mathematics and science education.
Delaware Department of Education
401 Federal Street, Suite #2
Dover, Delaware 19901
Phone: (302) 735-4035
Fax: (302) 739-4654
Other Press Releases