(Dover, DE.) North Georgetown Elementary School in Georgetown, Delaware and Woodbridge Elementary School in Greenwood, Delaware have been selected as 2009 National Title I Distinguished Schools. Both schools were recently honored last week during the 2010 National Title I Conference in Washington, DC. The conference attracted more than 3,000 Title I professionals from across the country who gathered to honor these schools as well as to share best practices and learn about innovative education programs.
Title I is the largest federally funded, pre-collegiate education program in the country, providing more than $17 billion in federal aid to schools and districts serving students in poverty. The goal of Title I is to ensure that all children, especially those living in economically disadvantaged conditions, have the opportunity to receive a high quality education. Schools selected for national recognition must have a poverty rate of at least 35 percent for the selected year and have met or exceeded state standards for making adequate yearly progress for two or more consecutive years.
North Georgetown Elementary School was selected for its outstanding performance in exceptional student performance for two or more years. Belinda Waples is the principal of North Georgetown Elementary School which is in the Indian River School District.
Woodbridge Elementary School was selected for its outstanding performance in closing the achievement gap between student groups. Jason Cameron is the principal of Woodbridge Elementary School which is in the Woodbridge School District.
Other Delaware Title I Distinguished School Honorees include:
- Hartly Elementary School, Capital School District, Tammy Augustus, Principal;
- Joseph M. McVey Elementary School, Christina School District, Heather Bordas, Principal;
- Richard A. Shields Elementary School; Cape Henlopen School District; Patricia Megee, Ed. D., Principal;
- Benjamin Banneker Elementary School, Milford School District, Jean Wylie, Principal;
- Carrcroft Elementary School, Brandywine School District, Carol Norman, Principal;
- R. Elisabeth Maclary Elementary School, Christina School District, Margaret C. Mason, Principal;
- Lulu M. Ross Elementary School, Milford School District, Sylvia M. Henderson, Ed. D., Principal;
- Phillip C. Showell Elementary School, Indian River School District, Laura J. Schneider, Principal;
- Smyrna Elementary School, Smyrna School District, David Morrison, Principal; have also been designated as Delaware Title I Honorees.
The National Title I Distinguished School program began in 1986 is an annual recognition for Title I schools showing remarkable improvement and innovation. It is sponsored by the National Title I Association. To learn more about all National Title I Distinguished Schools and the other programs of the National Title I Association visit www.titlei.org.
Delaware Department of Education
401 Federal Street, Suite #2
Dover, Delaware 19901
Phone: (302) 735-4035
Fax: (302) 739-4654
Other Press Releases