Aide to the Secretary of Education
We are looking for an energetic, mature, self-directed individual to serve as Aide to the Secretary of Education. If you are passionate about education and public service and excited by the prospect of working closely with state leaders on Delaware’s ambitious education goals, then we want to hear from you!
As Aide to Secretary Murphy, you will be the point-person on a range of day-to-day activities, from gate-keeper to his calendar and schedule, to helping create briefings, policy memos (including a weekly memo to the Governor) and presentations, to anticipating challenges and serving as a tireless problem solver.
Qualities you will need to thrive in this role:
- Comfort with fluid, high-stakes, low-oversight work environments that require you to make decisions without significant direction
- Initiative - anticipate and act on needs before you are asked
- Strong organizational, clerical, and writing skills; know how to multi-task, prioritize, and “get things done”
- A humble and positive attitude; no challenge is too large or problem too small for your best effort
- Know Adobe Acrobat, Outlook, Word, PowerPoint, and Excel like the back of your hand
- Fantastic people skills – you will have significant interaction with stakeholders within the Department of Education (DOE) and in the general public seeking access to Secretary Murphy; it’s a task that demands considerable patience and that you treat everyone with professionalism and respect
What we offer is an exciting and meaningful experience that affords unparalleled access to the Secretary of Education and the Department’s senior leadership. You will work with some of the most passionate, dedicated, and capable leaders in the country who are committed to developing you – whatever your ultimate career goals. Above all, you will be at the center of an exciting movement in Delaware that is driving significant improvements in the learning experiences our children have each day.
How to Apply:
Contact our fantastic Human Resource Officer, Mary L. Cooke for more information (see below for details). Please provide a completed Department employment application and a brief cover letter explaining your interest and background. DDOE application for employment available at: http://www.doe.k12.de.us/job/default.shtml
Mary L. Cooke, Esq.
Human Resource Officer
Delaware Department of Education
401 Federal Street, Suite 2
Dover, DE 19901
Phone: (302) 735-4030
Read on for further details regarding specific responsibilities, minimum qualifications, compensation, and other disclosures.
- Coordinates meetings and maintains appointment calendar for the Secretary of Education.
- Directs and conducts special projects that may involve issues of a sensitive or confidential nature.
- Serves as liaison with parents, school personnel, general public, legislators, and other state organizations and staff to exchange information and explain agency services, laws, rules, regulations, policies and procedures.
- Prepares correspondence, reports, and maintains files as required by the Secretary of Education.
- Creates official agency word processing documents; creates and maintains databases using software packages; creates and maintains spreadsheets; creates original presentations using software packages.
- Establishes tracking and monitoring systems and conducts follow-up to ensure effective resolution of matters.
- Obtains, organizes and drafts technical and administrative material necessary for public information or departmental use. Collects and compiles data to prepare reports and provide supporting documentation.
- Reviews all correspondence and documents before they are presented to the Secretary for signature to make sure they are error-free and administratively correct.
- Provides guidance and assistance to Department staff as needed.
- Maintains budget and expenditure data on funds assigned to and managed by the Secretary’s office.
- Performs other duties assigned by the Secretary of Education.
Essential Qualifications and Skills:
- Minimum Associates Degree, Bachelors degree preferred
- Knowledge of principles, practices and procedures of administration and office management, including knowledge of keyboard operations, document formatting, grammar, punctuation and spelling.
- Knowledge of State educational system, who the key players are, both internal and external, and understanding of the Department’s organizational aims and objectives.
- Skill in collecting, compiling, evaluating and analyzing information from a variety of sources.
- Skill in oral and written communication and the ability to handle questions and concerns with speed and confidentiality.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently in managing multiple priorities.
- Ability to effectively communicate Department policy.
- Ability to prepare clear and concise reports.
- Ability to work with diverse groups, including Department managers, legislators, employees, members of the public, each with their own priorities.
- Ability to thrive in a fast pace environment and and multi-task without sacrificing attention to detail.
- Ability to perform responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to set priorities and work under pressure.
Salary will be computed on the basis of experience and training and in accordance with salary schedules for employees of the Department of Education. Direct deposit of payroll checks is a condition for state employment and employees are paid on a lag pay schedule with the first payment made after approximately one month of employment.
A criminal background check is required. The successful candidate must demonstrate during the interview process an understanding of diversity, educational equity and multicultural education. This job description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of duties and standards of the position. The Aide should expect to perform any other related activities needed to deliver the position’s key duties and responsibilities and follow any other instructions as defined by his/her supervisor.
Mary L. Cooke, Esq.
Human Resource Office
Delaware Department of Education
401 Federal Street
Dover, Delaware 19901
The Delaware Department of Education is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age or Vietnam Era veteran’s status in employment or its programs and activities.