Secretary, Child Nutrition Programs
Title of Position: Secretary, Child Nutrition Programs
Reports To: Director of School Support Services
Date of Employment: March 18, 2013
Closing Date for Application: February 20, 2013
Description of Position:
This position is classified as a Secretary and is in the School Support Services Work Group in the College & Workforce Readiness Branch. This position is responsible for supporting the Community Nutrition Programs
- Prepare monthly payments for Community Nutrition Programs (Child & Adult Care Food Program [CACFP] and the Summer Food Service Program [SFSP]) reimbursement claims; track claim expenditures; submit routine reports to USDA
- Provide information regarding claims, USDA reports, reconciliations, and projections to Community Nutrition Program Manager and Finance Education Associate for Child Nutrition Programs
- Prepare monthly federal statistical reports on Community Nutrition Programs for submittal to USDA
- Provide secretarial support to the Community Nutrition Program Manager in the completion of his/her duties. Activities include, but are not limited to: typing, taking dictation, taking meeting notes and disseminating, answering phone and email inquiries, making appointments, researching and preparing travel information/documents
- Provide administrative support to the Program Manager for Community Nutrition Programs. Activities include, but are not limited to: coordinating and arranging meetings and trainings, preparing materials, attending meetings as assigned
- Perform computer related operations, to include: First State Financial (FSF) documents; word processing; document development and editing; creation of spreadsheets, data bases and tables; data management; merging files; electronic mail and calendar
- Prepare monthly expenditure report documents and maintain budget and expenditure records.
- Prepare documents for audit and DOE statistical purposes.
- Communicate effectively with sponsors and DOE co-workers
- Maintain documents, to include but not limited to document retention and destruction schedule
- Maintain, update, and distribute new materials and information for Community Nutrition Programs
- Assist Community Nutrition Programs Field Agents with projects, as needed.
- Provide assistance to Work Group staff, as assigned
- Perform other duties, as assigned by the Administrative Secretary, Program Manager, or Director
Essential Qualifications and Skills
Education: High school diploma or GED with training and experience in word processing, filing, record keeping and general office procedures; some college preferred.
- Must have excellent communication skills, handling questions and concerns with speed and professionalism
- Incumbent will thrive in a fast paced environment and will excel at multi-tasking without sacrificing attention to detail
- Must be able to perform responsibilities with minimal supervision
- Must be capable of setting priorities and working in collaboration with others
- Must be capable of setting priorities and working under pressure
- Must have excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to deal with staff in a tactful, congenial and professional manner
- Knowledge of Federal grants is preferred
- Experience with First State Financials preferred
Salary will be computed in accordance with the educational level and work experience of the individual selected and in accordance with salary schedules for employees of the Department of Education. Direct deposit of payroll checks is a condition for state employment and employees are paid on a lag pay schedule with the first payment made after approximately one month of employment.
A criminal background check is required. The successful candidate must demonstrate during the interview process an understanding of diversity, educational equity and multicultural education. The successful candidate should expect to perform any other related activities needed to deliver the position’s key duties and responsibilities and follow any other instructions as defined by his/her supervisor.
Mary L. Cooke, Esq.
Human Resource Office
Delaware Department of Education
401 Federal Street
Dover, Delaware 19901
The Delaware Department of Education is an equal opportunity employer. It does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, disability, age or Vietnam Era veteran’s status in employment or its programs and activities.